• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Satellite wheel/tire help please...

runtestman

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
I realize this horse has been beaten to death, but I've searched 100's of threads and found 100's of differing opinions. I can't find information to satisfy my exact fitment questions. I'm about to order wheels and tires for my 1967 Satellite survivor. It's still wearing the factory 14" steel wheels with 195/75/14 tires.

I want to go as wide as possible without having to alter anything, except maybe adding a sway bar. From the plethora of posts, I've deduced that a 15x8 wheel will fit fine on the back as long as I have between 4.5" and 5" of backspace.

This has lead me to choose Scott Drake Legendary Magnum 500 15x8 wheels with 4.75" backspace for the back because they are some of the more nicer looking, and affordable wheels with more than 4.5" of backspace. It looks like pretty much a custom order to get 5" backspace on a nice wheel.

On this, I plan on getting Cooper Cobra 255/60/15 tires, which will increase the diameter to 27" from the 25.5" currently on it. This presents my first question:

Anyone have real world experience with a 255/60/15 (10" section width) on a 15x8 wheel with 4.75" backspace, on the back of a 66-67 Satellite or Belvedere? Also, does anyone run that tire with 4.5" backspace with no issues? 4.5" backspace would open up other wheel possibilities.

Next for the front. The Legendary 15x7 magnums are 4.25" backspace. Ive seen dozens of different size options for the front from reading other posts. I'm leaning toward a 215/70/15, just because it keeps the same 27" diameter. But I've seen others say they run 225/60/15, 235/60/15, or even 245/60/15 on the front. the 235 or 245 would be an inch or less of diameter difference, so those would be considered too. So I guess my question for the front is more broad. What size tire do you run on these cars with 15x7 wheels with no issues?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be clear on what I'm looking to get and what I need to know. thanks!

If you want to do no mods and have no rubbing then I would use 15x7 on all 4 corners. Your tire sizes listed are perfect. 255/60 and 215/70.

I have a 67 Ply with 15x8 rears with 4.75 backspace, I still get rubbing on the outside and I pushed out the outer wheel well up above the wheel lips.

Do you have a convertible? I think the wheel wells are smaller than a hardtop. They have been modified.

Charger wheel wells are radiused and tires fit easier.

Last edited:
I have 245/60/15 on a 15x8" wheel on the rear pretty sure they have 0 offset.

Front is 215/65/15 on 15x7" wheel.

No issues. I'm told a 255 is the largest tire that you can fit on the rear. With a 4.75" backspace I think it will work. But 245 will be a safe choice.

Hi, on my 67 GTX i'm running Mickey Thompson Spotsman S/T 225/70-15 on 15 x 7 (27.4 diam.) chrome Magnums up front disc break conversion and stock factory swaybar. I have a drop sump on my oil pan so I like the tall tire up front.

Out back Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S Drag Radials 255/60-15 (27.3 diam) they have a 10" wide section width on chrome Magnum 500's 4-1/2" back space. I get a small amount of tire scuff only in hard right hand turns(.body role) only on drivers side. I think a 4-3/4" backspace is a good idea. only concern is the exhaust tailpipe I'm running a 3" TTI system and the down leg of the pipe passes close by the tire and gas tank.think 4-3/4" will be fine out back.

_DSC8835-001.JPG

If you want to do no mods and have no rubbing then I would use 15x7 on all 4 corners. Your tire sizes listed are perfect. 255/60 and 215/70.

I have a 67 Ply with 15x8 rears with 4.75 backspace, I still get rubbing on the outside and I pushed out the outer wheel well up above the wheel lips.

Do you have a convertible? I think the wheel wells are smaller that a hardtop. They have been modified.

Charger wheel wells are radiused and tires fit easier.

I do have a convertible. I'll have to add that to my list of concerns. Thanks for the info!

Hi, on my 67 GTX i'm running Mickey Thompson Spotsman S/T 225/70-15 on 15 x 7 (27.4 diam.) chrome Magnums up front disc break conversion and stock factory swaybar. I have a drop sump on my oil pan so I like the tall tire up front.

Out back Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S Drag Radials 255/60-15 (27.3 diam) they have a 10" wide section width on chrome Magnum 500's 4-1/2" back space. I get a small amount of tire scuff only in hard right hand turns(.body role) only on drivers side. I think a 4-3/4" backspace is a good idea. only concern is the exhaust tailpipe I'm running a 3" TTI system and the down leg of the pipe passes close by the tire and gas tank.think 4-3/4" will be fine out back.

View attachment 754084
Agree with what you've said. 7" wide wheel and 4.75" BS should be good. I ran L60 x 15 on my 66 Satellite think 4" BS wheels rubbed on corners.8"wheels 4.75" BS I don't know sound like they'd rub on corners. One other thing getting them in and out of wheel housing. I used and carried a bottle jack in case of a flat. Had to jack rear spring down to get tire on and off.

The sizes outlined in the OP are the exact sizes I run. Fit great, looks even better.

For what its worth, I've been told by a few 275/60 on a 7" wheel with 4.5" backspace will fit without rubbing. I have a vert, and this is the size I plan to use. The vert's wheelwell is shorter than HT as the capped it lower for the top arms to clear. That said, it will be a few years at this rate before I'm ready for tires...

On my '67 Belvedere ll hardtop, I have 275/60/15 on 7.5 in factory steel wheel. No issues at all. Leaf spring is closest rub point. Have higher than stock ride height.

Now I've had a couple people in this thread bring up the convertible issue for the rear wheel wells. I had no idea they were restricted even more by the convertible top. I had pretty much decided to go with the 15x8 4.75" backspace, 255/60/15 combo for the back and deal with rubbing issues if they occur. Now, I'm second guessing this if my wheel wells are even smaller than a hardtop.

To narrow my question even more, does anyone have experience with this combination on the back of a 66-67 Satellite or Belvedere?

For what its worth, I've been told by a few 275/60 on a 7" wheel with 4.5" backspace will fit without rubbing. I have a vert, and this is the size I plan to use. The vert's wheelwell is shorter than HT as the capped it lower for the top arms to clear. That said, it will be a few years at this rate before I'm ready for tires...

Thanks for the input. Now I'm concerned about the convertible wheel well and 15x8 wheels. I hope to get some info from people who've had them on their convertibles.

Don't think 7 or 8" wheel means much after what lemon wedge said. I ran L60 x 15's on my convert, used air shocks to get an extra inch or so of height. No one addressed the issue in post#6 about changing tires. Am I the only one with that issue. Maybe hemi springs don't hang as much?

15x7 with a 4 3/8" back space and a 275/60 will fit. Some with no mods, others cars with the inside lip of the outer wheel opening trimmed back. It depends on the car. Only real rubbing is on an extreme sharp, uphill turn. And this is with 20 year old shocks and 53 year old leafs. Nothing I worry about. I have these on a 66 Satellite and a 67 Coronet. I've seen a 15x8 with 4.5-5" back space fit as well. The hardtop, convertible difference I don't know. I will say changing a tire is a jack and jack stand deal. Air shocks to hold up the rear is not the best idea for a mopar. The upper shock mount isn't designed to hold vehicle weight and the thin metal can distort over time. I know it's been done, just don't want you bending up your ride.

I have the same car and my plan is to go 15x7 with 255/60 and 15x7 215/70 on Magnum 500's. I've seen 275's on this car but there's no room left at all. Just not sure which vendor to get the wheels from, as I've heard of chrome issues. Curious why you chose Scott Drake?

I have seen a lot of people running 15x8 draglites and i know their running 4.5 bs. Dont know if they trimmed wheel lip

Cragar also does a 5 inch bs in 15x8.from what ive seen on this and different posts for a 66 67 b body 4.75 is the ticket but wheel choices stink

Ive been running 15x8 with 4-1/2” bs rims with MT 28x9 ProBracket Radials. They’re substantially bigger than a 255, a little narrower than a 275. Wheel wells are 100% stock with the stock trim. They fit without rubbing, but are literally stuffed in there. Getting them in & out is a major p-i-a.

B5777390-4E21-485B-9658-20B613918ED2.jpeg

Thats bitchin LemonWedge!!!!im ordering draglites with 4.5 backspacing and 255s.will post pic when mounted

If your springs are sagged, you most likely will have a problem. My friend added a leaf now it’s high enough that he can change tires easily.

Auto Transport Service
Back