• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 -1969 Roadrunner GTX hoods

Cornpatch MO

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
There is a difference between early 68 and later 68-69 hoods. The difference I know about is the location of the safety catch mounting holes . From the edge of the driver side hood to the first hole for the catch is: early 68 =22-1/4"...late 68 & 69 = 22-7/8 " I don't know if there is any other difference. I got this info from AMD online catalog. They make both hoods, but the early is out of stock and no in stock date . I can get the late 68-69 hood, but my Plymouth appears to be an early 68.
Anyone know what, or if, I can do to put the later hood on my earlier car? Thanks for any input........................MO

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a difference on the under hood bracing? I have a vented hood that won'the accept a airgrabber.

I searched far and wide to get the correct latch loop to work on the roadrunner. I actually bent a piece of all thread to the shape I thought I needed. And then the search began. Found one in 2 months of searching for it. The loop goes further back than say an earlier hood loop. I have an earlier style somewhere in the shed. But it wasn't correct for the hood. I ended up having to make new mount holes for the loop. It didnt line up with the hood holes. This is the loop I had to use for the hood. Im pretty sure the hood was early 68 and the car is 69. If you would like I can take pictures of how I had to move it over with measurements. I had to move it over to the driver side of the car. I remember that much. Also the 69 hood inserts will not fit properly. You will have to modify the bolt holes. for the 69's to fit.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to know also for our 68 Belvedere. It's a very early (2nd week) build with original hood and hardware gone. Can i swap the grill support from a 69 and use the later hood and still keep the 68 grill?

Also the air grabber slots are different... On 69s they face more upwards, on 68s they face to the sides.. I don't believe that affects fitment though if you are not worried about year-correctness
68:
1968plmouthroadrunnerhemi100_4771.jpg

69:
1969-Plymouth-Roadrunner-383-Blue-Convertible-hood-scoops.jpg

Also the air grabber slots are different... On 69s they face more upwards, on 68s they face to the sides.. I don't believe that affects fitment though if you are not worried about year-correctness
68:
View attachment 566469

69:
View attachment 566470
That doesn't matter. They interchange. It is the early 68s had a different style latch that is tough to find and costs quite a few pesos. If we can switch the latch tray and hardware over from the later style it would be simple(and cheaper as i have the stuff to do that if it works).

Last edited:
I would like to know also for our 68 Belvedere. It's a very early (2nd week) build with original hood and hardware gone. Can i swap the grill support from a 69 and use the later hood and still keep the 68 grill?
The 68 and 69 Plymouth Grille supports do not interchange

The more I learn about this, the more confused I get ! Here is what I found out today. Mine is an early 68 Sport Satellite. I have a later 68 - 69 Roadrunner-GTX hood right beside it to compare. I don't want to us that one- not real straight. It appears that my stock Satty hood has slightly different measurements at the latch locations then either of the AMD's or the used hood that I have. I do believe the header panels latch dimensions are the same between my Sport Satty, 1968, and 1969 Roadrunner- GTX
If you aren't concerned with being factory correct ( and I am not) , to put the late 68-69 hood on the early 68 car we come up with three options. It appears , for latch purpose anyway, that there is only one difference. That is the location of the safety latch. That latch is located on a enclosed inner brace in which the two attaching bolts have welded nuts. #1 move the safety latch over approx. 5/8", drill new mounting holes and install "nut-serts" #2 weld a flat plate across the tabs of the safety latch, where the attach bolts go through, drill new holes to line up with the stock holes in the hood, thereby moving the latch over about 5/8" and not mess with the hood attaching holes. That would space the safety latch down, the thickness of the welded on flat plate, but that wouldn't affect anything.
#3 Modify the safety latch " arm" by welding in a piece that would move the
"hook" part on the bottom, over about 5/8" from the top part of the arm.
Reason for doing this is because AMD does not have the earlier 68 hood in stock and whenever someone gets around to it , putting it on a slow boat from China. Best guess is 3-4 months before even drop shipping- freight. ..............................MO

The more I learn about this, the more confused I get ! Here is what I found out today. Mine is an early 68 Sport Satellite. I have a later 68 - 69 Roadrunner-GTX hood right beside it to compare. I don't want to us that one- not real straight. It appears that my stock Satty hood has slightly different measurements at the latch locations then either of the AMD's or the used hood that I have. I do believe the header panels latch dimensions are the same between my Sport Satty, 1968, and 1969 Roadrunner- GTX
If you aren't concerned with being factory correct ( and I am not) , to put the late 68-69 hood on the early 68 car we come up with three options. It appears , for latch purpose anyway, that there is only one difference. That is the location of the safety latch. That latch is located on a enclosed inner brace in which the two attaching bolts have welded nuts. #1 move the safety latch over approx. 5/8", drill new mounting holes and install "nut-serts" #2 weld a flat plate across the tabs of the safety latch, where the attach bolts go through, drill new holes to line up with the stock holes in the hood, thereby moving the latch over about 5/8" and not mess with the hood attaching holes. That would space the safety latch down, the thickness of the welded on flat plate, but that wouldn't affect anything.
#3 Modify the safety latch " arm" by welding in a piece that would move the
"hook" part on the bottom, over about 5/8" from the top part of the arm.
Reason for doing this is because AMD does not have the earlier 68 hood in stock and whenever someone gets around to it , putting it on a slow boat from China. Best guess is 3-4 months before even drop shipping- freight. ..............................MO
I made a mistake on the header panels being alike in the latch area. Being that the safety catch on the hood of a late 68-69 is moved 5/8" over, from the early 68, the rectangular hole in the header panel that the "hooked" part of the safety latch goes into, would also be moved over that amount. .................................MO

The 68 grille will not mount to a 69 grille and latch support panel correctly
No. I am asking if i find a later 68 latch tray/grill support. They didn't change the grills did they?

No. I am asking if i find a later 68 latch tray/grill support. They didn't change the grills did they?
There is no such thing as an early or late latch & grille horizontal crossbar for a 68 Road Runner or GTX according to the Chrysler parts book. That piece was listed as 2 pieces in the Chrysler parts books even though it was spot welded together, the horizontal piece that goes from fender to fender and your grille mounted to was part number 2786232 for 68 and 2949115 for 69. The vertical piece that your hood latch bolted to was 2786700 for 68 and 2898995 for 69. There is only one grille part number 2785880 for Road Runner or Satellite but the RR one had a different color scheme. There is also only one hood listed for 68 Road Runner or GTX and one for 69 the part number for the 68 is 2859466 and 69 is 3417098
I have both crossbars here and will try to post a pic of them later
Another point to mention sometimes a Coronet or Super Bee crossbar gets mixed up for a Road Runner and they won't interchange

Last edited:
There is no such thing as an early or late latch & grille horizontal crossbar for a 68 Road Runner or GTX. That piece was listed as 2 pieces in the Chrysler parts books even though it was spot welded together, the horizontal piece that goes from fender to fender and your grille mounted to was part number 2786232 for 68 and 2949115 for 69. The vertical piece that your hood latch bolted to was 2786700 for 68 and 2898995 for 69. There is only one grille part number 2785880 for Road Runner or Satellite but the RR one had a different color scheme. There is also only one hood listed for 68 Road Runner or GTX and one for 69 the part number for the 68 is 2859466 and 69 is 3417098
Another point to mention sometimes a Coronet or Super Bee crossbar gets mixed up for a Road Runner and they won't interchange
OK, I do not have a factory parts book, having to relie on AMD information for 68 69 Roadrunner - GTX hoods. THEY say early 68 safety latch location is 5/8" different than late 68 and 69. That means the horizontal header panel (or cross bar) has to have the rectangular hole where the safety latch "hook" goes through changed to line up with the different safety latch location.
I have found that my 68 Sport Satty is an early one according to the safety latch location. ....After-thought could there have been a change in the safety latch itself, to make the later latch line up with the same header panel( crossbar) hole, therefor not needing a different one? ..................................MO

My early 68 belvedere. Does anyone have a pic of the later 68 with measurements?

20180201_165057.jpg 20180201_165048.jpg 20180201_165107.jpg Screenshot_20180201-170054.png

There is no such thing as an early or late latch & grille horizontal crossbar for a 68 Road Runner or GTX. That piece was listed as 2 pieces in the Chrysler parts books even though it was spot welded together, the horizontal piece that goes from fender to fender and your grille mounted to was part number 2786232 for 68 and 2949115 for 69. The vertical piece that your hood latch bolted to was 2786700 for 68 and 2898995 for 69. There is only one grille part number 2785880 for Road Runner or Satellite but the RR one had a different color scheme. There is also only one hood listed for 68 Road Runner or GTX and one for 69 the part number for the 68 is 2859466 and 69 is 3417098
I disagree (with no red X) on the 68 early and late. Prove me wrong before i spend any money on this. I am in the same boat as Cornpatch...wife wants a Road Runner hood on her Belvedere. I need all the latch hardware and hood as you can see. Help us out with some pics of what you are talking about so we can compare. Thanks

This is the AMD description MO is talking about for their hoods.

Screenshot_20180201-170953.jpg

I disagree (with no red X) on the 68 early and late. Prove me wrong before i spend any money on this. I am in the same boat as Cornpatch...wife wants a Road Runner hood on her Belvedere. I need all the latch hardware and hood as you can see. Help us out with some pics of what you are talking about so we can compare. Thanks
I am glad to try to help out FBBO with part numbers from the Chrysler parts book and from my personal experience of having over fifty 68 and 69 Road Runners, Satellites, Belveders and GTX's combined through the years with many parts still here but by any means i do not profess to be an expert or plan on being threatened to prove anything because how could i, since i was not standing on the end of the line when these cars where produced. I have a few 68 and 69 Road Runner GTX hoods as well as latch panels from 68 and 69 here that i was going to look at and get measurements but at this point i feel bad i could not help others more but i am out of this thread after that comment.

I am glad to try to help out FBBO with part numbers from the Chrysler parts book and from my personal experience of having over fifty 68 and 69 Road Runners, Satellites, Belveders and GTX's combined through the years with many parts still here but by any means i do not profess to be an expert or plan on being threatened to prove anything because how could i, since i was not standing on the end of the line when these cars where produced. I have a few 68 and 69 Road Runner GTX hoods as well as latch panels from 68 and 69 here that i was going to look at and get measurements but at this point i feel bad i could not help others more but i am out of this thread after that comment.
What is wrong with Dales comment? We have a problem and need help in figuring out what we need? I don't think we are questioning your knowledge, we are just trying to figure out the parts book. With your good fortune in having those parts in front of you to compare, perhaps you would be so kind as to help us and possibly others, to figure out what is going on??
Dale your last pic on entry #15, I assume is measured from the end of that panel right side, ? . or to the edge of the hood - inside of fender lip. right side?....Mine is measured right side of hole to end of panel. Near side of rectangular hole is 22" and far side is 24" I can't understand why yours is different. Could one of ours have been wrecked and put together with wrong pats???.........................MO

Whoa. I think there is a misunderstanding between what i am trying to say and what you read. There is a difference between early and late...no question. We are trying to figure out the differences and solutions. The early style is not real common( read $$$) so looking for an option around it.

Sure didnt try to offend anyone. Sorry.

Auto Transport Service
Back