• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 383 Charger Gear Vendors installation

'68 383 Charger

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Just completed the install of my Gear Vendors overdrive. I started with a fresh rebuild on the transmission using the rebuild kit from A&A Transmission 727 Overhaul Kit with Red Clutches and Kolene Steels. I also had a Transgo TF-1 shift kit installed. i'm using a Summit deep aluminum transmission pan, and my original torque converter.

The Gear Vendors install went well, but I originally tried to install the unit on the transmission first then then put the whole assembly in the car. It is too heavy and center of gravity is way off because the tailshaft housing is so long. finally just installed the tranny, and then bolted on the overdrive. It took a lot of in clearancing in the trans tunnel where the overdrive bolts to the housing, and where the spedo cable goes into the overdrive. lots of time was spent with a big hammer making room. I installed the 2 LED indicators and switch in a false panel on the dash, i'm using a B&M Megashifter and bought Gear Vendor's version to the T-hanldle with the switch to control the overdrive.

The hardest part was dropping my exhaust system, i have a 2.5" TTI system with H-pipe that is 1.5 years old. It was tough getting the pipes apart without destroying them.I reassembled them with lap joint clamps rather than u-bolst style clamps

the overdrive clears the exhaust with no problems, the driveshaft was shortened 14" and rebuilt with big U-joints. wiring was very simple, all connections are installed, heat shrinked and high quality. The wires plug into the control box using ethernet type connectors.

I'm still on my first tank of gas, so no info yet on MPG increase. I have an 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears and at 75-80 MPH i'm turning 2200 RPM.

I'm very happy with the results, it's not cheap, but is well made and works as advertised.

Attachments

• O-D installed 2.jpg
    O-D installed 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 5,051
  • O-D trans.jpg
    O-D trans.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,165
  • O-D installed 1.jpg
    O-D installed 1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,675
  • O-D installed 3.jpg
    O-D installed 3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,904
  • O-D intalled 4.jpg
    O-D intalled 4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,124
really great photo's i may do that myself one day i like the idea of being able to run some 3.91's and still drive on a highway.

Nice set up, Clean installation, I am also tinking about going to a Gear Vender OD...

Thanks for the excellent pics.

It looks like if the tailshaft were 6 inches shorter it would be A LOT easier of an install.

I wonder if a truck/motor home trans (or tailshaft) would work.

I'm diggin that "shortie" package. That might be the answer.

Serious envy here, I've eyed gear vendors for many projects over the years.

My 69 RR is a 4 speed car so a trans swap to a manual that has OD would be the ticket for my bird.

Thanks for the excellent pics.

It looks like if the tailshaft were 6 inches shorter it would be A LOT easier of an install.

I wonder if a truck/motor home trans (or tailshaft) would work.

I'm diggin that "shortie" package. That might be the answer.
And it cost less then the unit GV sells!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back