• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 440 block with a blank VIN pad ??

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
Last week I dragged home a 67 Chrysler 300. I thought it had its original engine but the 4-4-68 casting date told me that it was a replacement engine. Now I started looking at the ID numbers and have found that while there is a machined flat spot on the RH side of the block near the oil pan rail, there is no number stamped there.
The raised pad near the distributor reads D440 6 21 HP with a sideways B inline with the LH side of the block.
Maybe a warrantee replacement? Does does this do for the value as compared to another block with an actual VIN stamp?

Good to know. thanks, Greg

Last week I dragged home a 67 Chrysler 300. I thought it had its original engine but the 4-4-68 casting date told me that it was a replacement engine. Now I started looking at the ID numbers and have found that while there is a machined flat spot on the RH side of the block near the oil pan rail, there is no number stamped there.
The raised pad near the distributor reads D440 6 21 HP with a sideways B inline with the LH side of the block.
Maybe a warrantee replacement? Does does this do for the value as compared to another block with an actual VIN stamp?

The VIN wasn't stamped on the passenger's side pad in 68. IF it is there, it would be by the oil sending unit on the back of the block. Check there.

I scraped a bit more and found a number right where it was suggested. I'm more familiar with 1970 and later engines so it was news to me that a 1968 engine would be stamped in such a strange area.
My numbers came up 8A333528 .

X2 69 above.

Looks like it was in a Lynch Road car. Not sure what the sideways B is but I have seen it before.

Cool. I figure I'll list it for sale for $500. Thanks, Greg

Auto Transport Service
Back