• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 - 69 -70 rear window stainless trim , clips

Cornpatch MO

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Is there any source for clips that grip the trim as well as the factory ones? We replaced the bottom clips and a couple on the sides. The rest factory original was still good. The new clips will not hold the bottom trim. can't use them, and the old ones on the top and some sides still grip very well. Help please?...................................MO

I had issues with the rear trim clips......My window guy had to redo the contour os some of them. Then he had to trim the top edges down some on a few.....In my build thread I detailed this....

I got my first set from RT specialties and the second set from Mega parts......

I had three sets of new that were all sold as '69 B body rear and NONE were made the same and NONE were correct to my OE's. The few that I had to use ....I used a round punch to put a lock tab where the repro guys forgot step 3 in the mfg. Praying my front clips work correctly as the resto shop threw all my OE's out so I never saw what they looked like.

I had three sets of new that were all sold as '69 B body rear and NONE were made the same and NONE were correct to my OE's. The few that I had to use ....I used a round punch to put a lock tab where the repro guys forgot step 3 in the mfg. Praying my front clips work correctly as the resto shop threw all my OE's out so I never saw what they looked like.
It is a sad state of affairs that we can't even get correct window trim clips.......

The rear trim clips didn't originally have a locking tab unlike the fronts.....I never understood why Ma Mopar did that.....The contour of those clips is what locks the trim in place......You know how cheaply things are made and cheap metal used...

These are what I removed from my car and put most back. I don't remember them ever being replaced.. but they may have been at some point. They held the trim tight!

2014-08-02 002 003.JPG

Cornpatch MO, can you post a picture of one of your original clips? There were variations in the clips used though the years and I am beginning to think that the assembly plant can impact the clip style as used. Typically the rear window clips are pretty much original to most unrestored cars, so it is easier to know what or how it was equipped. Front windshields have a more likely chance of being changed out through the years and more of a chance for the clips to be swapped out through the years. The A-Body applications have a even greater discrepancy than the B-Bodies. We have samples of most all of the original style clips that can be matched up to originals.

These are what I removed from my car and put most back. I don't remember them ever being replaced.. but they may have been at some point. They held the trim tight!

View attachment 599528
My original clips were not like those.....I just can't find the dang pic.....Mine were like the ones in the reproduction clips....

Never know about the variations, yours could have been original to your car...Those resemble the front large clips....

This was the shape of the repro's I used a few of after wacking a "tab" into them. Repro's on both sides, my original in the middle.

2014-08-02 002 001.JPG 2014-08-02 002 005.JPG

That is one problem with the reproduction clips. The tempering in them sometimes is poor. I am thinking that the ones that your placing the divot in is relatively soft for you to be able to make the relief in it. We had the situation that we started to install the clips on the window felts that we make. The clips were just folding up under minimum pressure and no way would they spring into the provisions under tension and hold the felts in place. The manufacture made the production run good on the clips, but still disappointing to have to throw 3000 clips into the dumpster. So how many more clips get into the market place with issues.

No, these weren't soft and took a lot of hammering to make a dent in them without a proper die. Glad I only had to do 3 or 4.

View attachment 599528
Those look like they ought to work. Did you try to replicate the oe "lock" dimple in the aftermarket clips as shown in your post with the punch? ......................MO

Cornpatch MO, can you post a picture of one of your original clips? There were variations in the clips used though the years and I am beginning to think that the assembly plant can impact the clip style as used. Typically the rear window clips are pretty much original to most unrestored cars, so it is easier to know what or how it was equipped. Front windshields have a more likely chance of being changed out through the years and more of a chance for the clips to be swapped out through the years. The A-Body applications have a even greater discrepancy than the B-Bodies. We have samples of most all of the original style clips that can be matched up to originals.
Old removed clips were bad and got tossed. I will try to take a pic of one that is still on the car. Window is probably in the way and I don't remember what they look like...........................MO

This was the shape of the repro's I used a few of after wacking a "tab" into them. Repro's on both sides, my original in the middle.

View attachment 599531 View attachment 599532
Are the 1st and 3rd and the one in the vise all the same? they look like the new ones I have. Do you have a side profile of the one in the vise to see what the dimple you punched in looks like? ..........................MO

That is one problem with the reproduction clips. The tempering in them sometimes is poor. I am thinking that the ones that your placing the divot in is relatively soft for you to be able to make the relief in it.
That is what my window man said. The metal did not have as much spring to them as the originals did..............MO

Thanks for the responses, but the question remains-- where can I get new clips that will install and work correctly with no modifications.
My window is installed, and I will have to take it out to remove and replace the clips....................................MO

I had issues with the rear trim clips......My window guy had to redo the contour os some of them. Then he had to trim the top edges down some on a few.....In my build thread I detailed this....

I got my first set from RT specialties and the second set from Mega parts......
How do I find your build thread? You have a lot of post's!!..............................MO

69bfan here on the thread hooked me up with the correct ones and they worked great

Are the 1st and 3rd and the one in the vise all the same? they look like the new ones I have. Do you have a side profile of the one in the vise to see what the dimple you punched in looks like? ..........................MO

Yes the one in the middle is the OE and all the others are the same repros. I just used the punch to add a lip/tit as best I could, similar to the OE.

Yes I had the same problem bought new clips from parts mix off ebay they did not hook as the ones I took off. ,missing little tit or nub whatever you want to call it ,mixed old with new used them ever other clip good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back