• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 B Body 2 DR Sedan verses 2 DR Coupe/Hard Top Sheetmetal Question.

Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used 1968 Plymouth B Body sheet metal from a 4 DR sedan on a 2 DR coupe or 2 DR hardtop? I have a 1968 Road Runner that had its passenger side quarter panel roughly cut off and I am thinking about trying to repair/replace as much of the damage as possible in as close to one or two pieces as possible from a 1968 donor car. It seems that there are a lot more rust free 4 DR sedans out there than 2 DR cars.

With that in mind I am curious whether these components would be the interchangeable between the two cars:

1. Deck Filler Panel.
2. Floor pan.
3. Trunk Floor Extension.
4. Trunk Floor.
5. inner wheelhouse.
6. outer wheelhouse.
7. inner rocker.
8. outer rocker.
9. Trunk gutter. upper.
10. Trunk gutter lower.
11. Tail Light Mount.
12. Tail Light panel.

Because my car is a post car I would still need to get the post specific sheet metal including the frame under the side window, the actual post and a post door jamb. Lastly I will need a section for the roof both the skin and the frame behind it. Note: My understanding is that the post specific pieces could come from any B body 68-70 post car and the roof piece could come from an 68-70 B body 2 door except charger.

Lastly, I realize that I could order much of this from a company like AMD but my simple mind tells me that minimizing the number of welds would be a good thing for a number of reasons. Also, I do have a NOS quarter for the car so once all the structure is in place I plan on installing the quarter.

I did find really good information on a Moparts Forum that described how to convert a 69 Belvedere from a 4 door to a 2 door and based on that article it appeared that all of the parts that I have listed are interchangeable.

I am also curious if folks generally speaking think this approach is a bad or good idea.

Thank you,
Ron

Sound logic. Everything is the same except the Dutchman panel and the outer rocker. The outer rocker can be modified for use.

Sound logic. Everything is the same except the Dutchman panel and the outer rocker. The outer rocker can be modified for use.
Thank you very much for the confirmation. I now know what a Dutchman panel is and fortunately there is at least one piece to the puzzle that I already have.

Because the sheet metal is so solid I am thinking about trying to "splice" everything together if possible including:
inner rocker
outer rocker
roof a few inches before the quarter panel seem.
deck filler panel
possibly a portion of the trunk floor
possibly a portion of the actual floor

With that in mind I would like to get a full rust free coupe/hardtop/sedan quarter and some all the around to make this happen.

There is someone in the project section that swapped a 2 door roof onto a 4 door. Might check it out and see if that's what you are up for

Yes. This is the article that got me thinking about using 4 door sedan parts. Based on the pictures in the article and the parts that that remained from the 4 door sedan it got me thinking about this idea.

You mentioned that the rocker covers are different but can be converted. In the article you provided it appears that he is using the outer rocker from the 4 door sedan.

The 2 door rockers are differently contoured behind the quarter panel. The four doors have the same shape front to rear. Also the 4 door rocker is different where the center pillar between the 2 doors meets the rocker. Both of those would have to be addressed

In looking at a picture of a 4 door satellite and a picture of an after market 2 door outer rocker I can see exactly what you are talking about. The bottom line is that I would also need either a portion of a 2 door outer rocker or a complete 2 door outer rocker.

Thank you again.

Ron

Here is the center divider. Only the top of the rocker is affected by this. The contour is different to accommodate the pillar.

IMG_20210414_170020282.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back