• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Carter AVS 4429S question

104thLRSD

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bought a used AVS for my 1958 GTX. Date was right and correct model for that year. I just rebuilt it yesterday and put it on the car. This model AVS has only one mixture screw in the middle. There are two idle limiter screws at the base. The carb seems to be Working fine but I noticed a vacuum leak in one of the limiter screws. According to the service manual these are not supposed to be adjusted and are factory set. Can I replace these to fix the leak? And if I can, how do I set them to factory specs?

Those were intended not to be adjusted and had the plugs installed once they were initially adjusted when new. I had my carb completely restored by Scott at Harm's, and once I got it back I replaced the original lower mixture screws with new brass replacements with outer springs like were found on 69-up versions. It makes adjusting idle mixture MUCH easier with no tools compared to the original setup.

Those were intended not to be adjusted and had the plugs installed once they were initially adjusted when new. I had my carb completely restored by Scott at Harm's, and once I got it back I replaced the original lower mixture screws with new brass replacements with outer springs like were found on 69-up versions. It makes adjusting idle mixture MUCH easier with no tools compared to the original setup.

I CONCUR WHOLEHEARTEDLY.....replace these limiter screws with the ones as noted by Turbine 68rt. The origional limiter screws were factory adjusted and sealed so the average person was unaware of their existence....sort of a true D.N.F.W. adjustment.
BOB RENTON

Yes, they are basically a shorter version of the mixture screws.

Auto Transport Service
Back