• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger 5.7 Build

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
I think I now have enough information (thanks to a bunch of you guys) to start my Charger build. I am sure I will still need some help. I have been watching for some time now. My car will be totally stock in appearance right down to the 8 track. But I will be installing a 5.7 and after much debate yes a 545rfe. The charger is one of two I had bought years back. I sold one last year and after really looking at this one it would appear I sold the wrong one.
DSCN0001.JPG
DSCN0003.JPG
DSCN0006.JPG
DSCN0007.JPG
DSCN0008.JPG
DSCN9999.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG
Can anyone identify this part? It was in the car and is painted the same color as the car. I cant figure out what it is.
DSCN0005.JPG

I have done body work on old cars for years replacing floor pans and full quarters as well as quarter skins. But this car will need a tail light panel trunk floor full interior floor and both quarters. Also the back 2 feet of the drivers side frame rail. Question 1 If I remove the tail light panel , trunk floor and both rear quarters do I need to brace anything and if so what and where? I would like to do this as I have a one piece trunk floor.

For years I always wished I could find a build sheet in one of my cars. When I finally do find one it is for a car I am not putting back stock. This according to what I see was a 6 banger car lol. So guess it isn't worth much . XP29B8B336034
DSCN0009.JPG
DSCN0010.JPG

View attachment 349448 Can anyone identify this part? It was in the car and is painted the same color as the car. I cant figure out what it is.View attachment 349447
The part you are wondering about appears to be the left side upper roof rail that holds the headliner in place. You should have one for each side. There are 4-5 clips that fit inside the molding that clips onto the lip in the roof. Good luck with your build. You will love it when it's done.

And the winner is....Sixpactogo. Thanks man and I found the other side still in place.

Is the part number for the oil pickup I need for my 5.7 pan milodon 18331? I ordered my pan milodon 31000 for the swap but not sure of the pickup tube. I wanted to order from modern muscle but cant get their web site to work so I guess it will be jegs.
Thanks

Those are the numbers of the pan and pickup that I used. You will also need to deal with the dip stick and tube as the Milodon pan does not have the dip stick feature that the stock pan has. Also you may need the 45 degree oil filter unless the 5.7 is different from the 6.1. I am not sure about that.

Those are the numbers of the pan and pickup that I used. You will also need to deal with the dip stick and tube as the Milodon pan does not have the dip stick feature that the stock pan has. Also you may need the 45 degree oil filter unless the 5.7 is different from the 6.1. I am not sure about that.

What did you do for a dip stick then?
Thanks for the help.

What did you do for a dip stick then?
Thanks for the help.
Bouchillon Performace has one they created for this type of conversion. It came in a kit that I bought from them along with a power steering pump, Rear Transmission mount, 02 sensors, Transmission coolant line fittings, brake light switch, Oil pressure switch and fuel tank. I also got the TTI headers and engine mounts thru them in the kit they made up for me.

Bouchillon Performace has one they created for this type of conversion. It came in a kit that I bought from them along with a power steering pump, Rear Transmission mount, 02 sensors, Transmission coolant line fittings, brake light switch, Oil pressure switch and fuel tank. I also got the TTI headers and engine mounts thru them in the kit they made up for me.
Sixpactogo I thank you once again. I had not yet sent the order off and I want to buy everything from one source if possible. I contacted Randy at BP and he sent the me the questioner. I will most likely do my business there. Seems they have everything.
Thanks again.

Sixpactogo I thank you once again. I had not yet sent the order off and I want to buy everything from one source if possible. I contacted Randy at BP and he sent the me the questioner. I will most likely do my business there. Seems they have everything.
Thanks again.
You're welcome,.............. I think. I bought my whole kit from Randy. When I bought mine back a few years, they were pushing an aluminum gas tank that I didn't like. They now have a steel tank that fits correctly and it is about half the cost of what that damm aluminum one was. Of course they wouldn't take back the aluminum one because I had it more than their 90 days limit. You won't have that problem as they no longer use the aluminum tank. I did have issues with their computer and still am at this time. Problem is, now Randy is pissed off at me and won't answer my emails or return my calls because of it. I do have to say that everything else he provided works well and fit properly. Good Luck with your project. I'm here for ya if you have questions. On another note, Your car does not have factory air and if you plan on using the fly by wire gas pedal, I have the one they charged me $135.00 for and wouldn't take that back either. You can have mine for $75.00. My car has the factory A/C heater box and there was no room for the fly by wire pedal because the heater box goes all the way over to the steering column. I had to use my factory gas pedal and cable to a 2003 ram bell crank unit under the hood to interface with the throttle body. I actually like that better because I didn't like the way that fly by wire pedal looked. If you go that route, they will need to know that also as they need to change the wiring harness to relocate the fly by wire hook-up from under the dash to under the hood. I can send you pics if you need.

You're welcome,.............. I think. I bought my whole kit from Randy. When I bought mine back a few years, they were pushing an aluminum gas tank that I didn't like. They now have a steel tank that fits correctly and it is about half the cost of what that damm aluminum one was. Of course they wouldn't take back the aluminum one because I had it more than their 90 days limit. You won't have that problem as they no longer use the aluminum tank. I did have issues with their computer and still am at this time. Problem is, now Randy is pissed off at me and won't answer my emails or return my calls because of it. I do have to say that everything else he provided works well and fit properly. Good Luck with your project. I'm here for ya if you have questions. On another note, Your car does not have factory air and if you plan on using the fly by wire gas pedal, I have the one they charged me $135.00 for and wouldn't take that back either. You can have mine for $75.00. My car has the factory A/C heater box and there was no room for the fly by wire pedal because the heater box goes all the way over to the steering column. I had to use my factory gas pedal and cable to a 2003 ram bell crank unit under the hood to interface with the throttle body. I actually like that better because I didn't like the way that fly by wire pedal looked. If you go that route, they will need to know that also as they need to change the wiring harness to relocate the fly by wire hook-up from under the dash to under the hood. I can send you pics if you need.

More much needed information. I will be very careful to make sure I only buy the needed parts. I have a wrecked 03 ram that my engine is out of. So hopefully I can go the route you did. But that being said I might be better off to get my ECU and harness from Chris at hotwire. I do have an 04 wrecked ram as well so I could have that ECU re-flashed. I want to add AC to my car but will use vintage or similar equipment. I was thinking about the new tank they offer with fuel pump installed.

More much needed information. I will be very careful to make sure I only buy the needed parts. I have a wrecked 03 ram that my engine is out of. So hopefully I can go the route you did. But that being said I might be better off to get my ECU and harness from Chris at hotwire. I do have an 04 wrecked ram as well so I could have that ECU re-flashed. I want to add AC to my car but will use vintage or similar equipment. I was thinking about the new tank they offer with fuel pump installed.
The harness that Bouchillon uses is from Chris. The computer they use is from an 05 Hemi Ram. Bouchillon has a guy from Motorola that re flashes and removes the excess security. Chris told me that the 03 & 04 computers are different and supposedly won't work but don't quote me on that. I have the steel tank from Bouchillon in my car. The kit included the Corvette style fuel filter/regulator and fittings. That is what is on my car but the jury is still out as to whether that is the best option. I have been told by a few people that I need to have a fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable gauge in place of the filter / regulator that I have. Randy says that is BS. Others say Randy is full of BS. There are plenty of so called engineers out there that think they know it all but really know just enough to get us in trouble. They like spending our money and then sit back and see if it works or not. Mine seems to work properly but I am having some surging issues that may be because of the fuel pressure. I doubt it and I believe my issues are caused by the computer not playing nice with the fly by wire assembly. To me, it feels like the throttle body is fluttering like it doesn't know where it should be at light throttle. I will get it figured out though.

DSCN0030.JPG
I got the 440 out trans is next. Man I had issues pulling that thing. They had a set of headers on it that were so tight you couldn't take them off with the engine in the car. I couldn't get the starter out with the headers on and the engine wouldn't come out with the headers on. They hit the torsion bars. I think it was all put together and then put in from the bottom. I was about to reach for my plasma cutter but got it out.

Last edited:
I finally got a better look at the engine bay and fire wall and it is in pretty good shape. I have a little work to do on a couple spots by the hinges but over all good. I feel like the journey is now under way.
DSCN0032.JPG
DSCN0031.JPG

You are definitely going to want to put it back together from the underside. It works so much better with the engine, trans, headers, K frame and steering box all put together. It makes it so easy to drop the body down over the drive train when you are fabbing the tunnel. I had mine in and out probably 6 or 8 times before I was happy with the clearances. Here are a few pics of the cart I built and the cross member cuts. Your tunnel will have to be widened out and raised a couple inches to make room for the 5R45RFE. Have fun. I hope this helps some
100_6529.JPG
100_6736.JPG
100_6737.JPG
100_6738.JPG
100_7668.JPG
100_7671.JPG
100_6860.JPG
Engine mgmt harness hole.jpg
100_6736.JPG
100_6737.JPG

So I addressed a couple of your questions in another thread already but I don't think you need a different dipstick (I have the truck dipstick though, and it works with my milodon pan). Also I run the 04 computer. The 03 had separate engine and transmission computers, it also only used one oxygen sensor, so if you plan to run dual exhaust you need 04+ ECM's. They say the 05 is more tunable...which I think really only buys you transmission tuning capability from what I've read. But if you really plan to play with one of these late model engines and turn up the wick I would move over to an aftermarket system. I really want to trade mine in on a megasquirt plug and play system so I can tune it at will (for when I swap cams later). I found that the new megasquirt stuff actually is sold as a ready made kit and is pretty cost effective, even comes with the wiring harness. But definitely more work since you need to learn the tuning side if you want to get more out of it than the base tune they provide.

I have been offline a lot so if you have specifics I could help answer send me a PM.

PS. the next time I am in Chippewa Falls visiting family I could swing by six pac

So I addressed a couple of your questions in another thread already but I don't think you need a different dipstick (I have the truck dipstick though, and it works with my milodon pan). Also I run the 04 computer. The 03 had separate engine and transmission computers, it also only used one oxygen sensor, so if you plan to run dual exhaust you need 04+ ECM's. They say the 05 is more tunable...which I think really only buys you transmission tuning capability from what I've read. But if you really plan to play with one of these late model engines and turn up the wick I would move over to an aftermarket system. I really want to trade mine in on a megasquirt plug and play system so I can tune it at will (for when I swap cams later). I found that the new megasquirt stuff actually is sold as a ready made kit and is pretty cost effective, even comes with the wiring harness. But definitely more work since you need to learn the tuning side if you want to get more out of it than the base tune they provide.

I have been offline a lot so if you have specifics I could help answer send me a PM.

PS. the next time I am in Chippewa Falls visiting family I could swing by six pac

All good to know info. My 6.1 had the dipstick on the right side and entered the pan. There is a provision in the left side of the block for a dipstick. Did the truck use that provision? PM me when you plan a trip to the area.

Auto Transport Service
Back