• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger: Budget bomber build

70B5Cuda

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
I traded for this Charger shell last summer. It had been sitting for 20+ years and needs cabin and trunk floor pans but the rockers and frame rails are surprisingly solid. I have several projects that are suffering greatly from scope creep so I HOPE to keep this one as as budget bomber. Something I don't have a ton of money in. The early plan is to ring/gasket a 440 I have sitting in the shop. I also have an 18 spline 4 speed just waiting to be used. I didn't get much with the car, but I plan to use all the cast off/replaced parts from my other 68 Charger rest-mod build. Paint job will probably be a satin or patina job.

FlVScS8.jpg

UUOCaod.jpg

LbpVL16.jpg

myZoF8V.jpg

v1FqVsD.jpg

zNRIUNQ.jpg

looks like a pretty decent shell to start with.I traded an engine for this '69 road runner. Between the missing and junk stuff, it was basically what you have.
Free bird.jpg

It had new quarter skins on it already. It took a lot of swap meets and horse trading to get it like this
Freebird a.jpg

It was lost in a garage fire. I had a blast building it, and driving it.
Good luck!

looks like a good start. best of luck!

looks like a pretty decent shell to start with.I traded an engine for this '69 road runner. Between the missing and junk stuff, it was basically what you have.
View attachment 764319
It had new quarter skins on it already. It took a lot of swap meets and horse trading to get it like this
View attachment 764321
It was lost in a garage fire. I had a blast building it, and driving it.
Good luck!
A garage fire, that’s a terrible fate for the bird. Sorry to hear. I don’t know what to say,such an undeserving loss.

thanks...the insurance got me the one I have now.

First thing that bugged me when I got home with it was the bent corner on the driver's side front corner...
Ch2vvSo.jpg

View from the top looking down...
6L950vD.jpg

I got an old 2x4 and a hammer and starting tapping away. It's not perfect, but I don't care...

H31u0y8.jpg

I think you did a fine job working her back into shape. Enjoyed the update. Hope ya get more done over the weekend.

Looks like a solid start. Like the idea of the cheap driver, just get it back on the road and have fun!

Right before my shoulder surgery in late January, I made sure I got the cabin floor pans cut out. The floor pans had lots of rust/holes but the frame rails and rockers are in good shape...I wish I had a good "before" picture

BpnOD9x.jpg

cl2FvXf.jpg

otn8tfD.jpg

Had 1.5 hours available, so I fired up the air compressor and got to work knocking all the undercoating off of the passenger side inner fender. If you haven't used a needle scaler, you need to try it. A needle scaler gun is super cheap on ebay (like $30-40 shipped) and does a nice job in a reasonable amount of time. The passenger side inner fender took one hour and 15 minutes. I will never use a torch and scraper again...

4pShX7z.jpg

qjC0p8R.jpg

I bought a battery powered Milwaukee Fuel DA sander a while back so I went after the rust on the roof. What a nasty job! THE roof skin has plenty of dings but it's cleaning up pretty nicely! Passenger side....

NlIvywo.jpg

nmCzTG5.jpg

I got the rest of the roof DA'd...didn't realize the roof had as many dents as it does!

eAqqSmM.jpg

wCEqC9A.jpg

And I started stripping the cowl...
j5fvLaZ.jpg

have you guys considered "dustless blasting?" They can blast the entire car to bare metal in one hour. But I think it costs about $1000.
Seems like it would save a tone of work hours though.

I've watched youtube videos of early 60's junkyard cars getting blasted in 1 hour. Fun to watch if they speed up the video to like 8 minutes.

A previous owner hacked up the k member with a torch so its not useable. I removed what was left of the front suspension. Then I fired up the compressor and knocked all the undercoating off the driver's side inner fender, which took about 1.5 hours.

fkHp0Un.jpg

HWWQuoR.jpg

Keep up the good work. I am enjoying watching your progress.

Thanks showard!

This update won't wound like much but it was a lot of work....I dug out all the sealer in the rain gutters and the forward pillar channels. Getting back under the lip was a major pain but every bit of sealer has been removed. I also removed all the windshield clips and retaining screws from the front windshield channel. I couldn't believe that they all came out! The rear window trim clips and screws were not as cooperative. It helped that the windshield had been out of the car for 20+ years.

o3hTtIp.jpg

DlTef8s.jpg

s4c9Xbb.jpg

AE2hCSz.jpg

Qf9HuBw.jpg

I spent another couple hours with the needle scaler. This time, I did the inner rockers, torsion bar crossmember, cabin floor pan supports, and I started on the rear frame rails and floor pans under the rear seat. I am always amazed how much better they look...

GbiEpq3.jpg

erjNJr3.jpg

AA7yAbM.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back