• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 charger header advise for 383

Dickyj420

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 1968 charger with a 383 motor. It had a single exhaust on it originally and low performance manifolds. Accurate exhaust will make system for my car but they are far from inexpensive. I am wondering if anyone here as the same setup and converted to headers and duel pipes. My charger has power steering and it also had AC that I removed.
I have quickly learned that any changes made on my restoration involves a lot of factors; seems Dodge used several variations on some models. Any information would be a big help, I would like to get away from the low performance manifolds if possible. Avoiding a nothing fits and shipping returns would be great.
thanks in advance for the advise!

I understand budget is the factor.Not much is out there that is not inexpensive anymore. One of the best things you can do before installing headers is to replace both motor mounts and transmission mount. This way the engine is seated properly. I've made that mistake over the years.
Back to complete systems, Tho expensive,TTI has very good systems and as you stated Accurate also.
I have installed at least 20+ TTI kits over the years.A and B body cars.
For a budget system look at Summit or Jegs Coated headers (NY rust)and their header back systems for a B body.
Photo is of the TTI system I bought for a 68 Valiant for reference.

IMG_2619.jpg

We need more info. What sound do you want? Full tailpipes? Can you fab/weld the system?
Mike

I've used TTI headers and complete systems on a few of my cars and they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. With that said, you can go cheap now and end up having to replace the stuff later and will cost more in the long run. JMO. Been there, done that. ruffcut

If you are in Buffalo NY, and on a budget, buy cheap headers and go to Norms exhaust in Irving and have them bend up some pipes...good work and reasonable prices

Custom on mine, but a special
application. Paid $300.00 for the
set.
20190615_144810.jpg20190108_143834(1).jpg
Flanges and mufflers were not
included in that price.

Auto Transport Service
Back