• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger Purchasing Advice

Pokerpilot

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
Going to look at a 1968 Charger tomorrow and wanted to see if there is anything specific I should be looking at besides the most common answer "Rust". I want to purchase the car to restromod due to it not being numbers matching. Originally a 383 car but has a 1969 440 with the 727 trans. Asking price is 27.5k. If everything checked out on the car and was overall in good condition, does a 20k offer sound to low or high?

317074922_10227569927971738_4115639136012992666_n.jpg

316956716_10227569921131567_3292021823000593827_n.jpg

317071603_10227569921771583_4084939929343130230_n.jpg

314299166_5664369726950906_7725829455363481813_n.jpg

That doesn't look like the correct front seat. Charger would have buckets and a buddy seat. Look for other non correct stuff to help u lower the price. Offer as low as u can. Can always go up but can never go back down.

If it's not Rusty and it runs and drives good. 20k sounds reasonable in today's market. It should be fun to drive just like it is. With that 440.

I’ll take as many of those for 20k that you have. Keep them coming. I’d be concerned what is really hiding in that car with it priced that low. Too good to be true. Better take 30k in case others show up while you are there.

First glance lots not correct. But if it’s not too rusty and runs good you’re in! lol
You know where to look for the trouble spots eh?
Good luck!

How is it in primer in one photo and blue in the others? It doesn't look like fresh blue paint either.

There is a rot hole on the left fender that’s visible through the hood hinge.

1680431374231.jpeg

My guess it that it’s a rot box filled with bondo.

If it is not rotten around the frame and regular charger places you will have to pay very close to asking price
If it was my car and I was asking $27k and you only offered $20 k you would not have even got as far as looking at it
At $27k that is a very reasonable price for a complete and running car

Last edited:
If rockers, pans and frame rails are solid, and it's mostly complete, I wouldn't take a dime under $25K if I was selling it.

Everything it needs will be expensive because it's a Charger, (I know) so add up what it will need to figure out the total your thinking of spending............ then add 15%

Up where you're at I don't think there would be many available, also not many people shopping for one. If it's local you won't have to add in shipping costs. It will need lots but it looks fairly complete and it's already setup with a big block so that will save you a bunch on chasing the little parts swapping from a small block. I would feel the guy out carefully in person and take cash to settle the deal then and there. Don't lose the car over a few bucks if it isn't a total rotbox. If it's fairly rotten I might offer $20k, if it's pretty decent I would offer more depending on how anxious the guy appears to be. There just isn't a way to know what it's worth until you lay eyes on it.

In the midwest it would be close to 30-35k asking.

Only you can decide what to pay. If it is your dream car then gotta go for it. Otherwise I can think of a whole lotta other ways to get a B body with a 440 to bang around in for a whole lot less.

It is unlikely anyone will get a running, driving, registered, and titled '68 Charger for $20k.

Good luck to you.

Going to look at a 1968 Charger tomorrow and wanted to see if there is anything specific I should be looking at besides the most common answer "Rust". I want to purchase the car to restromod due to it not being numbers matching. Originally a 383 car but has a 1969 440 with the 727 trans. Asking price is 27.5k. If everything checked out on the car and was overall in good condition, does a 20k offer sound to low or high?

View attachment 1443339

View attachment 1443340

View attachment 1443341

View attachment 1443342
Drumroll please...

How did it look and drive?

I LOVE Chargers. My first car was a Charger. Had another years later. Both primo cars. The real question is: How much unreasonable money are you willing to pay for one of these cars ?

Good Evening, We bought it for 23k! Some updates on it after seeing it in person. Trunk Floor pan isnt horrendous but does have a hole and rust and will be getting replaced, Same with drivers floor pan. Engine bay is very clean with no sign of rust. Body panels in the normal rust spots are clean with no sign of any bondo work. Left Rear Quarter Panel was replaced 5 years ago and is in great condition. Rocker panels show no signs of rust or bondo. Engine itself it very strong and starts up with ez, needs to get some love and care in the cosmetic department. The frame has nothing but very minor surface rust in a couple places after crawling under it. Interior needs some redoing but has original rear seats that are in pretty good shape. Seller did throw in bucket seats from a 68 that need redone but I dont know if we will go that route yet. Overall extremely happy with purchase and beileve its going to be the perfect restromod project after I enjoy the summer driving it!

Congratulations!
They’re not making them any more and are getting harder to find as every day passes
Going to drive it for a while or dig right into her?

Congratulations!
They’re not making them any more and are getting harder to find as every day passes
Going to drive it for a while or dig right into her?
Going to drive her this summer then when winter hits we will start digging into everything. Having a shop built right now so have to wait tell then anyways!

Auto Transport Service
Back