• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger R/T Emblem, what paint color should I use?

QOTHL

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
I've painted an original emblem Orange Red 1620 and I'm a fraud it's too orange. Has anyone painted this emblem? If you have please let me know what color you used, or what is the right color.
Thanks!

I believe I still have the paint code that I used on my '68 emblems. I'll check when I get home.
I placed the emblem in a small hobby vise and got it perfectly level. Then I put small drops of paint in the emblem inset and let it flow out until it covered the area. No masking or spraying involved. Worked like a charm.

I believe I still have the paint code that I used on my '68 emblems. I'll check when I get home.
I placed the emblem in a small hobby vise and got it perfectly level. Then I put small drops of paint in the emblem inset and let it flow out until it covered the area. No masking or spraying involved. Worked like a charm.

THAT'S an awesome idea! I'll do it! Masking that SUCKS!:BangHead:
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

If you want a truly RED-red, Chrysler had one in the late 80s called Exotic Red. PR1 was the paint code, I believe. It was the OEM color on the 1989 Shelby Dodge CSX-VNT:

ncdn.azureedge.net%2Fstaging%2Fcarlist%2Fitems%2FFullsize%2FCars%2F137693%2F137693_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

I've owned a couple of these cars, and they are R-E-D. Not undercooked-steak blue, not orange...but fire engine, blood red. If you're going to do the "flow the touchup paint" method mentioned above, hit up a NAPA or Autozone and see if they can order you a bottle of the Exotic Red. I think you'll be happy with it.

If you want a truly RED-red, Chrysler had one in the late 80s called Exotic Red. PR1 was the paint code, I believe. It was the OEM color on the 1989 Shelby Dodge CSX-VNT:

View attachment 1127291

I've owned a couple of these cars, and they are R-E-D. Not undercooked-steak blue, not orange...but fire engine, blood red. If you're going to do the "flow the touchup paint" method mentioned above, hit up a NAPA or Autozone and see if they can order you a bottle of the Exotic Red. I think you'll be happy with it.

I bought an engine red, then found Gloss Cherry Red Rustoleum from Wal Damn Mart for a lot less. It is R-E-D! For this small job, it's good. The originals must be faded because they look orange/red.
Thanks for the help! I tried the Sawyer technique and it works really well!

I bought an engine red, then found Gloss Cherry Red Rustoleum from Wal Damn Mart for a lot less. It is R-E-D! For this small job, it's good. The originals must be faded because they look orange/red.
Thanks for the help! I tried the Sawyer technique and it works really well!
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you with the paint code that I used. It totally slipped my feeble mind.
Anyway, here it. It's not a deep red, but it matched some of my older emblems after I cleaned them and buffed them out.
Sounds like you might have found color you were looking for.

20210620_224204.jpg 20210620_224153.jpg 20210620_224226.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back