• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger RT Power Steering Problem

classiccar68

Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
Members,
Came out to the garage a few weeks ago and noticed my gear box was leaking. After a few hours of fighting, we removed the gear box and had it rebuilt. After reinstalling the gear box, no power steering. Pulled the power steering hose going into gear box and put connector into an empty bottle. Started the engine for a few seconds and had my buddy watch the bottle. After a few seconds, the bottle was half filled with fluid. So I reattached the power steering hose to the gear box, jacked up the front and started the car. I thought I was out of the woods as the wheels turned right and left with no issue. I decided to take the car for a short spin. It became very clear that I did not completely fix the problem. I did make some progress going from no power steering to manual like steering. I am the end of my experience level. Any assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you fill the power steering pump? Did you bleed the power steering system? You need to fill the power steering pump with power steering fluid, start the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock to bleed the system.

The valve body it needs to adjusted. With engine off loosen the bolts a LITTLE tap VB in one direction tighten bolts. If steering wheel turning gets worse in same direction loosen bolts and go in opposite direction until it stops moving. Keep your hands away from steering when starting engine!! You could get hurt! Download a service manual section 19 steering. https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

The valve body it needs to adjusted. With engine off loosen the bolts a LITTLE tap VB in one direction tighten bolts. If steering wheel turning gets worse in same direction loosen bolts and go in opposite direction until it stops moving. Keep your hands away from steering when starting engine!! You could get hurt! Download a service manual section 19 steering. https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/
His complaint is very little assist. Your describing a centering problem.
If the system is full and bled of air then he either has debris restrictions or the pump is not making enough pressure.
Either way if you still have the original pressure line on there it should be replaced. If it blows up it's a fire hazard.

Auto Transport Service
Back