• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger Trans mount question

green440duster

Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
Hey Folks; I am currently restoring and converting my 1968 charger from 440 auto to 493 4spd and during mock up I noticed that my trans cross member mount does not line up with the 4spd mount location. Now it had a later model (75 ish) motor and trans(727) when I got it and it was an original 383 car, my new A-833 tranny is a 68 model and the mounting location seems to be in the center of the cross member not offset like the "mount basket" on the original mount that came with my car. Now my question is it seems to me that my mount has a stud hole and to bolt access holes in the bottom of it, can I trim away the top plate and just place my trans mount in there? Was this the original mounting location for early years then the company added the "mounting basket" to later models and boxed in the top plate? Also is there only one mount? if so the heights of the mount would be different. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ja
IMG_0004.JPG
mie

The pre 70 4 speeds had the trans mount in a different place than the autos. The 4 speeds changed the mounting position in 1970 to be the same as the autos. Pre 70 cars used different crossmembers for auto and 4 speed. The 4 speeds fit in the center of the crossmember. You could modify your auto crossmember to fit, or install a 70 up tailhousing. I believe the rubber mounts are the same.

The mount you have is for automatics and 70 and up 4 speed

Get the 69 and prior trani mount.

You could also change the tailshaft on the trani if you have a dual pattern 70 and up tailshaft lying around for that 4 speed

Auto Transport Service
Back