• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 440 - what is it worth?

andrewwoz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
Looking at a 68 Coronet 440 coupe, originally a 318 car now has a 440 (auto trans). Car has been repainted, going to estimate paint is 7/10 from photos I have. Has headers, exhaust, edlebrock carb. The owner says the motor ran when it was first put in but it has been at 2 different shops getting "finished" for the past 10 years. Owner was recently told the motor is now making noise and they believe it is due to the fuel pump leaking into crankcase. I do not really have more details than that, sounds like it could needs a bottom end? I'm brand new to mopars and classic cars in general but have a good deal of time working on vintage harley's.

Just want some opinions on value. Buyer is asking $25k which is what he has into it. I feel for him after hearing the horror stories from the 2 shops but I'm hesitant to spend that with the unknown problems.

Thanks!

Without pics and a link to the car it's impossible to help.
If the paint only looks 7/10 in photos then it could be quite poor as photos tend to hide a lot of flaws.

You can only go into it thinking it will need a complete rebuild.
And hoping it won't.

It's a non original car with a bad engine. If the body work and paint are good, I will guess without pictures, 15-18. You can count on at least 5K for a proper rebuild of the engine. It is sort of bad to make a guess without pictures.
:xscuseless:

I'm afraid their right about lack of pics and current information. A '68 Coronet 400 with a non numbers matching 440 in of itself does have some value. But at best? It's a $50k car. And that's completed to a near #2 quality. (1-5. Where 1 is concourse level restoration and production build. 5 being needing complete restoration with some major components missing. And/or rusted/damaged thus need complete replacement)

At a $25k asking? I would think the car would need to be well over halfway there? (Which it may well be?) Again. More info and lots of pics required to get a better estimate.

Looking at a 68 Coronet 440 coupe, originally a 318 car now has a 440 (auto trans). Car has been repainted, going to estimate paint is 7/10 from photos I have. Has headers, exhaust, edlebrock carb. The owner says the motor ran when it was first put in but it has been at 2 different shops getting "finished" for the past 10 years. Owner was recently told the motor is now making noise and they believe it is due to the fuel pump leaking into crankcase. I do not really have more details than that, sounds like it could needs a bottom end? I'm brand new to mopars and classic cars in general but have a good deal of time working on vintage harley's.

Just want some opinions on value. Buyer is asking $25k which is what he has into it. I feel for him after hearing the horror stories from the 2 shops but I'm hesitant to spend that with the unknown problems.

Thanks!
If it has engine problems it's roller. Add maybe $400 or so for engine. Watch for excess filler.

You're new to Mopars and this car has many unknowns.
just-walk-away.jpg

If it has engine problems it's roller. Add maybe $400 or so for engine. Watch for excess filler.
Two shops and 10 years, something isn't right. Look very closely, take plenty of pictures and return here for help. One thing I have noticed since being on this forum is, we can and will pick anything apart. I chose to call it constructive criticism.

Make ALL the parts are there. Fender tags get lost but probably isn't important on that car.

welcome to FBBO

:xscuseless:

If you can't see the car in person, it's like recon by fire....hit, or miss.

These are the only pics I got for now, it's a few hours away and I am thinking it's not worth my time at that price but just wanted to get some opinions. Totally understand there is a lot of missing info to make a fair judgement. I may be out near the car in a couple weeks and plan to see if its still around and will take more photos. The one other thing the guy said was the floor pans have been replaced at some point.

I love the look of the 68 coronets but I am pretty open to any 68-70 b body. Is a non numbers matching satellite/coronet/RR/gtx that is running/driving and not totally rotted out for 15-20k reasonable?

Also, thank you for all the replies and welcomes!

1.jpg 2.jpg

May just be the photo angle but the rear diff looks to far forward ?

Auto Transport Service
Back