• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge coronet 440

ga66mopar

Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while thought I would share some pics of a car a bought a few weeks ago. It has it's original 383hp engine and 727 column shift drivetrain. The car has been setting since the early 80's.Being a coronet 440 with the 383hp engine I would think it has a low production run. It runs and drives.

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

What's the VIN on that? Supposedly, no Coronet 440's (base model Coronets) came with a 383...

EDIT: I'm Dead Wrong. Firing squad at dawn! :elmer::elmer:

Last edited:
I owned a 68 440 no frills model. And it had a 318. Bench seat , column auto car.

Vin # is WH23H8GXXXXX. Is still has the fender tag. Car is a project but other than some rust holes in the trunk pan and needs a trunk lid it's fairly solid. I drove it about 7 miles Sunday and it ran good. Anytime you find an old dodge that's not green or brown is rare. The interior is original and complete but it needs the seats recovered.
Kind of neat the 383hp were available in the coronet 440 hardtop but the superbees only came in the post or sedan body in 68.

From my research Dodge produced around 960 Coronet 440's with the 383hp.

Yep, I got one! Total of 934 built is the figure I have. Good to see another one!

Pretty basic car; 383/727/3.23 Sure Grip. QQ1 blue, column shift, blue bench interior, heater, AM radio, standard dash. Fender-mount turn signals and a trunk light are about the only options. Not sure on the original HP rating, don't think it was 335 like the Roadrunner or Super Bee.
20180105_131534.jpg

20180105_124251.jpg

Yep, I got one! Total of 934 built is the figure I have. Good to see another one!

Pretty basic car; 383/727/3.23 Sure Grip. QQ1 blue, column shift, blue bench interior, heater, AM radio, standard dash. Fender-mount turn signals and a trunk light are about the only options. Not sure on the original HP rating, don't think it was 335 like the Roadrunner or Super Bee.
View attachment 1047199

View attachment 1047200
Compared to mine yours is loaded. Mine has the original hp exhaust manifolds. From what I can tell it has the same hp rating as the Super Bee.

A few more pics. I have the original carb but it needs rebuilt. I haven't took the seat out yet to see if the build sheet is there.

pic4.jpg pic3.jpg

My car is (was?) numbers matching but I'm not a big numbers guy so I changed some stuff on it - converted to 4 speed with bucket seats and console and installed a Holley EFI system. I kept the original parts though including the HP manifolds, bench seat, original column and steering wheel, etc.

If I keep the car for the long haul it's eventually going to get turned into a Coronet R/T. I already have a bulge hood and a set of original interior Coronet R/T door badges. Kind of a big job to get rid of all the side trim though so that may or may not ever happen.

Click here for my build thread if you have a minute to check it out.

My car is (was?) numbers matching but I'm not a big numbers guy so I changed some stuff on it - converted to 4 speed with bucket seats and console and installed a Holley EFI system. I kept the original parts though including the HP manifolds, bench seat, original column and steering wheel, etc.

If I keep the car for the long haul it's eventually going to get turned into a Coronet R/T. I already have a bulge hood and a set of original interior Coronet R/T door badges. Kind of a big job to get rid of all the side trim though so that may or may not ever happen.

Nice looking car good color. I actually prefer a bench seat with column shift. I know what you mean by the console being a pain. So I guess I have the right car.

I will eliminate the side trim. It will look better without it.

I will eliminate the side trim. It will look better without it.

If I had to paint mine the trim would have been long gone. Has to be like 30 little holes down each side, right on the body line crease. Let me know what it’s like trying to fill them in under the rear pillar! Admittedly sometimes I regret buying a 440 model for that reason.

Looking forward to seeing some progress! Keep us posted.

Vin # is WH23H8GXXXXX. Is still has the fender tag. Car is a project but other than some rust holes in the trunk pan and needs a trunk lid it's fairly solid. I drove it about 7 miles Sunday and it ran good. Anytime you find an old dodge that's not green or brown is rare. The interior is original and complete but it needs the seats recovered.
Kind of neat the 383hp were available in the coronet 440 hardtop but the superbees only came in the post or sedan body in 68.
You are correct, sir. A thousand pardons Sahib!
Oh, and if you'd still like to know about how many they made:
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1968-Dodge-Coronet-440?id=24373&vin=WH23H8G221009

Auto Transport Service
Back