• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX Spare Tire Mount

104thLRSD

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Happy Saturday morning fellas, hope everyone is getting ready to enjoy their weekends.
I have a question for you experts out there.
Is there any reason why this style of spare tire mounting bracket (pictured on the left) would be in the trunk of a 1968 GTX built in April at the Lynch Road plant.
All the research I found shows only the one on the right should be there. And the left one appears to be from a C-Body?
I was getting ready to drill holes to install missing fuel tank vent lines and that is in the way.
Please help, the grinder is warming up and I dont want to cut it out if there is a chance that was some “weird fluke” thing they did.

2B34061E-FEA1-4695-B11C-AC917EB4BA32.jpeg F2F19B74-FCD1-46BC-8A96-FD2825B4E88B.jpeg

Thanks Randys4406, Ive never seen it either and I have no idea why someone tacked that in there years ago. I found something similar on a pic a guy posted regarding his 1970 fury.
I just wanted to confirm with people smarter than me before I cut it out

Thanks outlawd. Do you think an angle grinder will do the trick?

I'd cut it in half first, and use a small cut off wheel on the welds, half way through or so for starters....wiggle each half up and down, it may pop right off....... I dont see any spot welds, just a few tacks on the edge.......if you do encounter spot welds, just grind the top off of them using the same small cut off tool

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back