• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Hemi Charger

mpd659

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi

I’m curious to know if anyone has a 68 Hemi Charger made in or before December of 1967 with the original engine.

Mine was made December 4th 1967. My question is does your original engine have any sequential numbers stamped on the top of the engine behind the oil sender? I’ve been told all 68 Hemi Chargers have a 10-10-66 or 10-31-66 block. I have an original 383 engine Charger 68 that has no sequential numbers on the engine and it was made 10-9-67. I know Hemi Chargers that we’re made in early 68 have the sequential number on top of the engine.
Thanks

Russ

You think they'd use blocks that were cast a year before the car build date?

Not sure but I think I’ve heard that can be the case with Hemi blocks.

You think they'd use blocks that were cast a year before the car build date?

Hemi's weren't being cast continually, they were cast in batches & stored.... They didn't sell enough to justify keeping the molds in place at the foundry.....

My buddy has a 68 Hemi Charger made after January 68 and his has the sequential number. He told me that Galen Govier told him about the 10-10-66 and 10-31-66 cast engines that he has only seen in 68 Chargers.

Russ

Hemi's weren't being cast continually, they were cast in batches & stored.... They didn't sell enough to justify keeping the molds in place at the foundry.....
Thank you. I did not know that.

The block in my 66 Satellite came from a 68 GTX it a 10-10-66 cast block.

Last edited:
You got any of those blocks that you can help your buddy from Jersey with? Oh, and some heads too. :lol:
Not me, but I'll keep an eye open for one. Should but a new one,I did! Be the last block I ever buy!

OIP9.jpg OIP15.jpg OIP18.jpg OIPa.jpg OIPg.jpg

Don't know it it's correct but I have read that only HP engines were stamped 1968, my Hemi built 4-26-68 has the stamp.

Auto Transport Service
Back