• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Road Runner fender tag

JScherbik

Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
I used an online decoder to get a lot of information out of my 1968 Road Runner fender tag. The fender tag sequential numbers match the trunk numbers, and the fender tag is consistent with the VIN RM21H8G21XXXX.

There are a few unknowns, however. The decoder came up with no known code of B8, D8, R3 and X3.

CAR: Plymouth RoadRunner 2 Door Pillar Coupe
ENGINE: 383cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic HD
TIRES: 7.75x14 White Side Wall
BUILD DATE: March 04.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Split Bench Seats. Light Blue Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Bright Blue Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Light Blue Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
B8: Unknown Option
D8: Unknown Option
F0: Decor Package
R3: Unknown Option
X3: Unknown Option

abc OPTIONS:

Anyone know what the unknowns are?

Thanks!

Jay

Attachments

• $_57 (9).jpg
    $_57 (9).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4,433
  • $_57 (3).jpg
    $_57 (3).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,548
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,181
Go to Andys 440 he has fender tag brake down on all tags.

Go to Andys 440 he has fender tag brake down on all tags.

Thanks, 69rag500. Unfortunately, all decoders have incomplete information on the uppercase codes, even Andys 440.

>>The next rows above, have the last digit of the sales code for optional equipment. Here are some of them:
A - 1 = 26" radiator diameter
B - 3 = cruise control
D - 9 = front disc brakes
F - 0 = decor package

F - 7 = Formula S package (Barracuda)<<

I may have to order Galen Govier's book on decoding to figure this out.

Not sure what a "PM" is, but I think you are telling me I may have (at least) a fraudulent fender tag. I was afraid of this, but again, all the other numbers match and the VIN checks out well.

Here's what I got last night from the facebook group "Chrysler Historic Archives" by a member who is a former program manager for Chrysler Corp. I posted the same question.

>>Using some ancient information that I have, I'll take a shot at some of the unknowns:

D8 = heavy duty drum brakes - 11"
F0 = Decor Package (includes interior trim H4_; stainless pillar moldings; rear armrests with ash trays; deck lid trunk panel with nameplate; partial horn ring)
R3 = Am/FM radio
X3 = clear glass - all windows

Let us know if any of this agrees with the equipment on this St.Louis-built car.

7 hrs · Edited · Unlike · 2

<<

He hit it spot on except the radio, which the former owner told me was changed out to a straight AM radio when the AM/FM failed. If the fender tag is real, I'm still not sure what B8 means.

PM . . . near the top of the screen, under the FORUM button is a "Private Message" link - click it, PM is the way that members can send messages to each other privately.

ON the screen you should see any "messages" that have been sent to you - click on them and read them . . .

Good luck - enjoy the FBBO site !

Auto Transport Service
Back