• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1968 Roadrunner early style hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a very nice stock rust-free hood for my project. Tried two AMD's with
bad luck. will drive within 200 mi. of Chicago. THNX!

Amd are 69 hoods. There is 2 different 68 hoods an early and late they fit the same but the under bracing is different

Amd are 69 hoods. There is 2 different 68 hoods an early and late they fit the same but the under bracing is different
There is also another difference between early 1968 and late 1968 and 69 hoods. It is in the location of the safety latch. This is explained, with measurements , in the AMD website. I modified my early 1968 header panel to fit the late 68 -69 AMD hood, but if I had to do it over again , I think I would have put on the later header panel ( not reproduced by anyone that I know of) At the time, the early 68 hood was out of stock by AMD............................MO

It is an early 68 hood. The measurement from the driver's side of the hood to the center line of the first
threaded bolt hole for the latch is 22-1/4".

I am curious as to why Ma Mopar changed it. ..............................MO

Yeah, me too! And also, my paint code is QQ1. They only used that for a partial year in 68.
Growing pains I guess.

Yeah, me too! And also, my paint code is QQ1. They only used that for a partial year in 68.
Growing pains I guess.
Yup, QQ1 Electric Blue ( plymouth) was a one year only color, and when they offered two door hardtop , along with several new options mid year, we ordered our brandy new 68 Roadrunner 2 dr hdtp--black vinyl top with QQ1 Electric Blue. We drove the RR just 50 miles and put the Keystone Classics on it. The 68 Satellite shown in my avatar , will look just like it -if and when it ever gets painted. ................................MO

Yeah, a lot of people are having heartaches over this problem! You can't put the later hood
on the car with the early header panel because the latch is in the wrong spot. You can't use
the later header panel because the 68 only GTX grill won't bolt to it. WTF! I'm so scared of
pulling the trigger on another AMD piece!

Yeah, a lot of people are having heartaches over this problem! You can't put the later hood
on the car with the early header panel because the latch is in the wrong spot. You can't use
the later header panel because the 68 only GTX grill won't bolt to it. WTF! I'm so scared of
pulling the trigger on another AMD piece!
There IS a way --Move the D shaped hole for the safety catch , over a bit to line up with that safety catch " hook" That is what I did...............MO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back