• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Roadrunner refresher

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
88F61F76-7948-4147-941B-00F7103EA026.jpeg
A390D46B-2DED-4337-A89A-D825F2D9D383.jpeg
17B1B4C0-76B6-4DE8-9E1E-70FE45B6503A.jpeg
5DC54820-4255-4BE0-B45E-B8B6463518F3.jpeg
29D36FE2-A752-485B-8C30-D9F587911AA6.jpeg
249A977F-FC91-4618-AE52-47227F376EFD.jpeg
2704C85F-E084-41B2-BEB6-8D7B5FAC005B.jpeg
A02F390D-F822-4C27-984A-9DD82AA4FAA7.jpeg
432FBAC0-E322-416E-B27B-41693BA26B7C.jpeg

3D79DC55-945D-46C4-B0A4-4C4156F9BE3F.jpeg

Ok, so I figured I would start a build thread and keep posting pics as I go here on my refresh of my Runner. It's a 383 with a 4 speed. The car is a driver and the paint is peeling pretty bad in spots. I also want to take the engine back to turquoise like it should be in 68. It has always bugged me and I want it to appear as stock as possible in the engine bay. It looks very good from pictures, but up close it needed attention as the paint is lifting in spots and is "seedy" all over. It is a Centari paint job from 86 or so, so I will be striping the car down to bare metal and starting fresh. I spent the weekend tearing half of it down with a buddy and my dad. I will be waiting until spring to strip paint, but figured I’d start the thread and post a few pics of disassembly because I know we are picture whores here! I will update it as I go.

Last edited:
Ok, so my car is a driver and the paint is peeling pretty bad in spots. It looks awesome from pictures but up close it needed attention. I spent the weekend tearing half of it down with a buddy and my dad. I will be waiting until spring to strip paint, but figured I’d start a build thread and post a few pics of disassembly because I know we are picture whores here! I will update it as I go
That's a really nice color combination. Is it original to the car or changed at some point? A lot done for 1/2 a day.

View attachment 887472 View attachment 887473 View attachment 887474 View attachment 887475 View attachment 887476 View attachment 887477 View attachment 887478 View attachment 887482 View attachment 887483 Ok, so my car is a driver and the paint is peeling pretty bad in spots. It looks awesome from pictures but up close it needed attention. I spent the weekend tearing half of it down with a buddy and my dad. I will be waiting until spring to strip paint, but figured I’d start a build thread and post a few pics of disassembly because I know we are picture whores here! I will update it as I go. View attachment 887479
Great car to refresh ! I wish I was doing the same but I’m going to have to wait a while. Good luck with it - can’t wait to see the progress and final results!

I am just about finished with my 1968 Satellite that is a tribute to the new 1968 Roadrunner I ordered. If I can contribute any info that you may use, I will be glad to do that. Have fun with it !............MO

That's a really nice color combination. Is it original to the car or changed at some point? A lot done for 1/2 a day.

Original color combo. Car is super clean so no metal work needed and very little body work needed at all. Someone altered the color a bit with more metallic, but I’m going back to the original E1 formula on it like original. I also am removing the cragars and going with steel painted body color wheels and my original dog dish hubcaps. They are near mint and I will be putting radial redlines on the car.....15x8 in the rear and 15x7 in front.

Last edited:
Original color combo. Car is super clean so no metal work needed and very little body work needed at all. Someone altered the color a bit with more metallic, but I’m going back to the original E1 formula on it like original. I also am removing the cragars and going with steel painted body color wheels and my original dog dish hubcaps. They are near int and I will be putting radial redlines on the car.....15x8 in the rear and 15x7 in front.
The exterior looked black in the pictures to me. E1 is a great color, especially with the lighter blue interior. My E1 and G1 cars do have a good bit of metallic in them and it really pops in the sun.

The exterior looked black in the pictures to me. E1 is a great color, especially with the lighter blue interior. My E1 and G1 cars do have a good bit of metallic in them and it really pops in the sun.

Yea my dad mixed the paint for it when my buddy did it way back and they added all kinds of metallic and extra **** to it. I have no clue what they did exactly, so back to original formula it goes so I can match it and get back to how it should be. I have seen very few cars this color in person so it should look good. :D

Yea my dad mixed the paint for it when my buddy did it way back and they added all kinds of metallic and extra **** to it. I have no clue what they did exactly, so back to original formula it goes so I can match it and get back to how it should be. I have seen very few cars this color in person so it should look good. :D
I was lucky on the mixing of E1 as the steering column had never been out of my car and the paint on it was perfect. It took my PPG supplier 4 tries to match it, but I know I have it right.

I was lucky on the mixing of E1 as the steering column had never been out of my car and the paint on it was perfect. It took my PPG supplier 4 tries to match it, but I know I have it right.

Hmmmm my column is original and is a shade of turquoise like my door panel/dash color. Must be a bit different with the year and color combo on my interior. You got a pic of the formula for me to reference? I am thinking of going with the PPG line doing this car. Any pics of your E1 car would be cool too!

Last edited:
What a nice solid car. Must have been garaged all its life. All 3 of my current cars were southern cars and even they all had small rust issues.

What a nice solid car. Must have been garaged all its life. All 3 of my current cars were southern cars and even they all had small rust issues.

Yup, the car sat inside its whole life. Never really saw the weather. Helps it came from North Carolina in 1985 too. Once in NY, it never left the dry garage at my buddies who I got it from. He threw maybe 3 or 4 different radical big blocks in it over the years, and took it down the road for a couple miles, then let it sit another 7 or 8 years and repeated that process for maybe 25 or so years until I got my hands on it in 2011. My buddy who helped my tear it down was in awe and said in the hundreds he's torn down, he never took bumper bolts out by hand with a wrench and his fingers haha! :D

Last edited:
About dang time slacker!

looking forward to your build thread!

Hmmmm my column is original and is a shade of turquoise like my door panel/dash color. Must be a bit different with the year and color combo on my interior. You got a pic of the formula for me to reference? I am thinking of going with the PPG line doing this car. Any pics of your E1 car would be cool too!
Yes the car I'm referring to is a 66 Satellite E1 in and out. I don't think there is any difference in the E1, from 66 up. I know I still have the spray out that matches, but not sure that I have a old can with the formula, but I will check for you.

Anyone have an idea how to have this mirror rechromed? Has the Penta Star on it and not sure if removing the glass is even an option? Anyone ever successful doing this? Really wanna keep the factory OEM mirror and not a repop.

93371BC5-89E5-407C-B365-26B1BAE29A46.jpeg
62DF9FBB-B23F-4092-8BE6-9692998F786C.jpeg

Well as promised I said once the weather breaks I will be starting on this pig.......well last night was 45 out and chilly but sunny so I figured I would buzz some paint of a few panels. Here is the progress so far. I ran outta paper and it was supposed to start snowing again (WTF!!!!) and it did shortly after rolling it back inside.

Runner1.jpg

How hard was taking out the front and rear glass?
I have to replace my trim clips

Front glass you cut the gasket lip where it folds in and then use a razor knife to cut between glass and glue. Depending how much glue they used on front window it can be a cake walk or a bitch. This car I believe they challenged the guy to use the whole tube of glue before he could go home for the day so he used it all on my car. I have sen some front windows with barely any adhesive and then ones like mine where they had a field day with it. The rear you remove trim and then cut between the butyl gasket and glass with a razor knife as well. Takes some time but isn't too bad. Both windows in my car were original.

I put my own glass back in as well. The front windshield I glue the gasket in on bottom and half way up sides. I don't use adhesive on the glass in the lip as my cars don't see much water and I haven't had them leak. Also only use the non hardening adhesive called bedding compound. You don't wanna use urethane hardening adhesive like new cars use. The glass sits in the channel and is a bear to get in, but after a couple you learn some tricks. The rear gets set in on a butyl rope type gasket then pushed down and then the trim is installed. I ALWAYS use a new windshield gasket to install as it makes it SO much easier with install as the gasket is very soft and workable vs. the original hard A** rubber that's 50 years old. @69bfan sells nice gaskets that I always use. Hit him up when you go to get your replacements as well as your clips you will need and alot of other parts also!

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back