• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 satellite wheel cylinder removal

68Satellite440

Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
Im posting this in hopes it helps save someone out there some time. I didnt want to completely disassemble the backing plate just to access the two bolts holding the wheel cylinder on. I couldn’t get anything to fit behind the upper control arm to remove the back bolt, tried sockets, wrench, brake wrench, pliers, to no avail.
So i decided to create a mopar custom tool that im sure others have as well.
I selected my finest quality chrome chinesium 1/2 inch wrench, compliments of walmart, and put that box end sucker to the grinder.
Ta-Da! A custom wrench that fits in that miserable time consuming spot.
Hope this helps you! -Pat

D4051EB1-8200-404D-9E36-3A0AB441AB4F.jpeg

39E3592F-6644-405B-B7FC-4EAF384AD34B.jpeg

I tried that a couple of weeks back... I ended up removing the backing plates. Then they were easy to remove. While I was there... new lower ball joints and tie rod ends. :D

I just rebuilt my entire four wheel factory drum brake setup last year (1968 GTX, 11" all around).
I own the usual ragtag collection of shadetree tools, nothing special really.
I didn't have to remove backing plates or come up with any sort of custom tool
to remove the front wheel cylinders as I recall?

When I did my total overhaul of the stock 11" drum system on my '68 GTX last year,
I didn't have to remove backing plates or any such to get the cylinders off...
Somewhere in my ancient shadetree collection of inexpensive + swap meet tools was
a goofy little box wrench that fit the bill, once I heated it a little and did a little bendin'...
DRUM Brake Overhaul - Now, for something totally different...

When I did my total overhaul of the stock 11" drum system on my '68 GTX last year,
I didn't have to remove backing plates or any such to get the cylinders off...
Somewhere in my ancient shadetree collection of inexpensive + swap meet tools was
a goofy little box wrench that fit the bill, once I heated it a little and did a little bendin'...
DRUM Brake Overhaul - Now, for something totally different...
I tried everything i had. Everything was just too fat to fit. Might be just because all my bushings are so far gone. Complete rebuild coming soon. Gonna give the PST kit a try and some bilstein shocks.

Auto Transport Service
Back