• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 440 PCV Valve Original Style

69 GeeTeeX

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
440 engine in 1969 Plymouth GTX. What is the correct original PCV grommet color? Painted Hemi orange like valve cover or left black? Also is it just the bare PCV valve or does it use the cover, looks like umbrella...

Painted engine color and is just the PCV valve. Does not use the chrome surround as found on some valve cover styles as the Hemi engine or earlier engines.

Ok so the pcv valve itself is also painted engine color or left bare metal.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen them painted in engine color and also in the black zinc finish. Personally, I feel that they would have been in place when the engine was painted.

I do not know about '69 specifically but in '70 the grommet and the PCV were in place when the engine was painted. I just looked at some pictures that I took in the mid '90's of a very low mileage, survivor '70 GTX, the black on the grommet shows through the paint, it almost looks like it just got overspray on it but that's not possible because the PCV has full coverage on it, so I wouldn't get carried away with trying for complete coverage on the grommet if your going for a factory look. As I said this is for a '70 but, just as a guess, the process was probably the same for '69.

Both the valve and grommet were installed prior to paint on 440 engines in 1969.

D

Auto Transport Service
Back