• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 440 with AC power steering brackets

patp

Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
In the process of putting a 440 in my 1969 charger. It is original 318 car with AC. Can any body tell me what is the correct power steering pump and bracket? Picture or part number would be great. Water pump housing is 2780887-8 I think.
Thank s
Pat

water pump casting #.JPG wrong bracket.JPG

Thank you for those great pictures will this work with AC? Do you know what kind of pump that is? Federal? Thanks again!

not sure , i just grab them from where ever i can . had a/c w/ps in my dart on a 383 . it was straight off a 67-68 polara .
DCP01193.JPG

His first picture is a Federal with the single piece BB Bracket. You can find those brackets as reproduction if you do not have an original
The crank, water pump and alternator pulleys will have to match AC set up.

His first picture is a Federal with the single piece BB Bracket. You can find those brackets as reproduction if you do not have an original
The crank, water pump and alternator pulleys will have to match AC set up.
Thanks, I have been slowly piecing it together, started with a bare block so I needed everything. The power steering bracket is a little confusing. Most after market parts specify non AC only. The only bracket that I have seen for AC cars specifies aluminum water pump housing only and mine is cast!! (from Classic Industries)

Update, purchased bracket, its fits water pump housing fine, federal power steering pump that I got with the first bracket I got fits new bracket fine, but.......pulley groves do not line up. Question is, did federal power steering pumps have different pulleys for cars?? Please help!!
pulley close up.JPG
pulley line up.JPG
pulley.JPG

i've never used that setup with a/c . here is a pic of my 69 dart with a/c on a 383 . which all was in a 68 polara 500 . its a pic of a pic
DSC00258.JPG
in my photo album . as you can see those brackets are different as well as the pump too . here is that pump and brackets n hoses off the car . changed the setup , and pulled the a/c off that car .
DSC00259.JPG
DSC00260.JPG
DSC00261.JPG
DSC00262.JPG

do you know what part # that pulley is in the first photo? thanks pat
In your original reply with the federal pump, that last post shows a saginaw pump I think.
Thanks
Pat

no idea , but i do think your setup will never make it line up . and the first to the end are the same parts assembly . i do like your bracket setup for no a/c . what to talk ?

no idea , but i do think your setup will never make it line up . and the first to the end are the same parts assembly . i do like your bracket setup for no a/c . what to talk ?
Would like to talk but Have to go to work!!! I want to post one more picture for you to see tomorrow can we try then?

It looks like your bracket and pump are the same as the new bracket I have with the old pump i have. Comparing my picture to yours, the difference seems to be the distance from the end of the power steering pump shaft and edge of the pulley, It looks like if I had a pulley whose flange was flush with the end of my power steering pump shaft (like yours) it would line up with the other pulleys. Am I missing some
shaft to pulley.JPG
thing?

I'm in the same boat here.
A 440 w a/c in an original 318 car.
Haven't been able to solve the ps pump puzzle.
If you figure it out please list parts number because I think whatever works for your will work for my 70
It looks like your bracket and pump are the same as the new bracket I have with the old pump i have. Comparing my picture to yours, the difference seems to be the distance from the end of the power steering pump shaft and edge of the pulley, It looks like if I had a pulley whose flange was flush with the end of my power steering pump shaft (like yours) it would line up with the other pulleys. Am I missing someView attachment 583366 thing?

I'm in the same boat here.
A 440 w a/c in an original 318 car.
Haven't been able to solve the ps pump puzzle.
If you figure it out please list parts number because I think whatever works for your will work for my 70
will do, feel your pain!!

will do, feel your pain!!
This one problem, put a halt to all progress on my Coronet. No point in install radiator/shroud/fan/alternator/ac if the power steering is incorrect.
Now so have to put my car back into storage for a few months. It can't be a shop ornament for more than a month at a time.

well i don't see that at all . but you do what you think is right , maybe some more pics of vehicles with a/c and p/s would be a benefit . this is what i ran with a/c n ps . the last pic , is what i run with ps ,
DSC00258.JPG
DSC00262.JPG
DSC00261.JPG
DSC00169.JPG
without a/c .

If you need to have pulley closer to pump and not by much, you can remove pulley and have it trimmed down the appropriate distance and reinstall. Using correct pulley tools. There are different pulleys and no part numbers on them so you really do have to have an example of what would have been on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back