• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 A-12 440 Six Pack/Six Barrel steel wheels

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
I've read in magazine articles and online articles that these cars came with some specific wheel that is rare or unusual in some way.
I've seen pictures but I can't see what is special about them. 15", steel and what... 6 or 6 1/2" wide? It seems that guys restoring a Six Pack/Six Barrel car search everywhere for these wheels but they look the same to me as almost any other wheel you'd see on D-100s, Station Wagons and C body cars.
What is so special about them?

6.5" wide 15" "H" wheels.... They were used on station wagons & Cop cars... It's the date codes that will make or break you... Years ago I picked up a set from my favorite wrecking yard off a 69 Police Fury.... $25 for a set of four... And sold them to a A12 owner for $1000 & he thought it was a bargain.... I went back to the wrecking yard & gave them another $200.... (They are always fair to me, I prefer to be somewhat fair to them)

Do they look like these?

H 2.jpg

This looks like an H:

H 3.jpg

These are 6.5" wide.

H 4.jpg

H 5.jpg

H 5.jpg

H 7.jpg

H 8.jpg

This and another matching wheel came on a 73 Dart Sport 340 that I bought in 2014.

DSP 2.JPG

Once a tire was off...

H 1.jpg

I'm sure there is no value for these. I just wondered what is so special about them.

6 " wide and a large H, 3 nubs mostly dimpled but not all are A12 wheels. The black wheel above with a small H is a good looking wheel but not for A12 correctness.

The H is much more prominent than that, and the A12s were 15x6. There are repops of the H wheels out there, but the valve stem is in the wrong place, and A12 experts can tell the repo's from 20 feet away. Then there is the question of how shiny they were, satin , gloss or what.....
There is a good tutorial on the H wheels on the Liftoff hood playground.

The H wheels used at Lynch Road during the 1969 model year were built at the Motor Wheel factory, plant 5. Hence the first detail required - M5/9 or M5/8 marking to the left of the valve stem. The centers are 3 dimple with one lug hole aligned with a dimple. They have a press mark on the back of the dimple from the center stamp process. The lug face is flat, unlike the 68 H wheels. There are many other details as well making them unique to the 69 model year.

There are accurate reproductions available made in the USA. What you get from China is not even close as noted. Drop me a PM if more information is needed.

D

PXL_20220408_225915431.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back