• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger 225 Slant 6

426HemiCharger

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
I was reading a back issue of MCG I have and I saw a blue Charger that was a slant 6. I thought it was really cool. I am starting a search for one now because I expect it to be hard. I know little to nothing about the 225 and the Charger body that the engine goes into. What are the differences other than the obvious? I want a general discussion on anything that has a VIN XP29B9*******.

The body is the same as any other 69 Charger (except a Hemi which would have a few extra gussets). All the differences are the obvious, K frame, suspension, exhaust, radiator. Used to be a yellow one in the area. They are pretty rare, but not very desirable.

I buddy of mine here in IL has a factory 1970 slant six charger he drives almost everyday. He swapped out a 4spd for the 3spd and claims to get almost 25 miles to the gallon. Looks like a sublime R/T but with gas mileage.

Huh not desireable? Well, then why is it that slant sixes always steal the show away from a six pack or a hemi? and an SE is a 1 of 5 creation, no doubt all would be TorqueFlites

The brakes would be the standard smaller 6 cylinder 10" units.

They were available both 3 speed man. and auto trans.

I don't know what shows you attend but any of the many that I attend certainly never see a /6 steal any thunder from a six pack or Hemi car. These odd type cars sometimes draw some attention simply because of the novalty of such an odd car, but if you ask any of the onlookers if they would buy it or pay any remarkable money for one of them the answer is always no. Rarity does not always equate to desireability. A /6 Charger is a parts car to me.

I have friends who really want a 69 six car bad , they have every other motor and style 69 charger

The factory did not put a 6 pack in a Charger until 1970. RRs abd SBs only with a six pack in 1969.

Well it is the novelty of it then, to me a slant six Charger is not parts, I see it if others do not want it then good, I'd be happy to take it. Slant sixes are under appreieciated like the sedans, and big C-bodies. I think it would be cool to see all of Mopar products runnng around, not just the ones with big chrome air cleaners and hood scoops and such. Not that I don't like them, I just think that it gets boring to see so much of the same stuff.

I had an original slant 6 70 Challenger. Kind of funny to open the hood on that and see the leaning tower of power that is so typically reserved for the A bodies.

I think it would be cool to have an original slant 6 Charger, but I wouldn't pay more than the parts value for it. Unfortunately the days of buying "granny" Chargers in good shape for $500.00 are over.

I had an original slant 6 70 Challenger. Kind of funny to open the hood on that and see the leaning tower of power that is so typically reserved for the A bodies.

I think it would be cool to have an original slant 6 Charger, but I wouldn't pay more than the parts value for it. Unfortunately the days of buying "granny" Chargers in good shape for $500.00 are over.

That is true, infact the I'm refering to is the stable-board of one Todd Sabatke. He found this one in 1998 and bought it for $2500! He found a whiskey bottle in the passenger side 1/4 window mechanism.:rolling:

I had a '68 Charger with a slant 6 and 3spd manual on the column offered to me a few years (decades) ago....I didn't have the money at the time to buy it...

If I knew than what I know now, it would be here and all done...

<damn>

I had a '68 Charger with a slant 6 and 3spd manual on the column offered to me a few years (decades) ago....I didn't have the money at the time to buy it...

If I knew than what I know now, it would be here and all done...

<damn>

You sure it wasn't a 69 or 70? They did not make a 1968 Charger with a /6.

You sure it wasn't a 69 or 70? They did not make a 1968 Charger with a /6.

D,

the /6 was a mid year addition for the 68 Charger.

68_slant_6_600.jpg

D,

the /6 was a mid year addition for the 68 Charger.

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks Doug, I did not remember that, however as you can imagine, they weren't knocking the doors down at the dealerships to order on and highly unlikely any dealer would ever stock one.

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks Doug, I did not remember that, however as you can imagine, they weren't knocking the doors down at the dealerships to order on and highly unlikely any dealer would ever stock one.

Well that is why they are so rare.

Chew on this:

Mod top cars are hot and super valuable, so they're in high demand, at least that's what I hear. There are plenty of mod tops with sixers and many have 318s so what gives? To find a 340 Formula S Mod Top is about impossible, Satellite Mod Tops are rare and so is anything else with a flowery covering.

I don't see why not the Charger be rare too, because if the Mod tops didn't have 'em they'd in the same boat you place the Charger sixer, right?

Well that is why they are so rare.

Chew on this:

Mod top cars are hot and super valuable, so they're in high demand, at least that's what I hear. There are plenty of mod tops with sixers and many have 318s so what gives? To find a 340 Formula S Mod Top is about impossible, Satellite Mod Tops are rare and so is anything else with a flowery covering.

I don't see why not the Charger be rare too, because if the Mod tops didn't have 'em they'd in the same boat you place the Charger sixer, right?

I don't think just ANY Mod top car is in high demand.

It goes like this regarding what people typically seek out for desirability/value for MY way of thinking and I believe this is what the majority of people in the hobby will agree. I am referring to the 68-71 year cars.

1. ENTER LEVEL DESIRED CARS: Muscle cars in general 340--426 powered cars

2. SAME AS ABOVE WITH PARTICULAR OPTIONS/COLORS

3. ODD COMBINATIONS OF OPTIONS

4. DOCUMENTED CARS

5. ODD COLOR COMBOS (INCLUDING INTERIORS, TWO TONES, MOD TOPS, ETC.)

An example would be the only KNOWN mod top A12 Super Bee. It has been know to have been totalled, sitting in a junkyard for years. Supposedly purchased recently and suspected that it is under restoration but is a well guarded secret. Someday it will surface all restored and people will make a big deal over it. However, the biggest part of the value/desirability will be because it is an A12 car WITH a mod top, not the fact that it is a mod top car.

Most people in this hobby are interested in muscle cars, not /6s, 318s, 4 doors etc. Now I am not dissing the owners of such cars, just pointing out what the bulk of the hobby is all about for the years above. Yes, there are other enthusiests for other reasons such as the C body crowd that typically buy their cars for different reasons such as trailer towing, room, comfort, etc.

My point here is that MOST people don't think /6 when they think Charger but rather R/T. This thought of /6 Chargers reminds me of the mid 70s after the performance era was dead due to insurance and fuel cost, when the factories tried to drag it out building 318 RRs with stripesand expected people to buy them based on a name and rememberences of days and cars gone by. The production numbers speak for themselves just as it does with the /6 Chargers. Not many wanted them then or now. I tell you that if I saw one at a car show I would be more likely to laugh rather than drool over it.

Back about 10 yrs ago, I saw a 69 Charger with a slant 6, column shift 3 speed. It was white with blue interior....wanted to buy it, but dude was wanting like 4500, and that was alot for a 6-banger charger 10 years ago, so I passed.

Jason

Auto Transport Service
Back