• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 charger wide body

sparcy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
I have had this car for close to 20 years. It looked great but was a mess A 318 auto SE car. it had a 383 in it it barely ran I got to drive it 4 or 5 times before the timing chain jumped. I bought a mig welder and put side floor pans and a 2 peace trunk floor, subframe connectors and t boxes in. over a period of 3 years . someone had brazed 1/4ers over the old ones and outer rockers over the old ones. yes that how old the body work was. 1970s LOL. I made it mechanically dependable . painting it satin sublime to hide all the bad body work I rebuilt another b engine rebuilt the trany twice put all new tube suspension firm feel Hotchkiss etc. then had lots of fun in it hunting wrx's . I rubbed the right door and 1/4 on a steel post at the drive thru ATM about 6 years ago. drove it like that knowing it needed 1/4 panels. then last summer crashed a curb took out left front tire and oil pan. so back in the garage she came for a up grade from 295 rubber to 345 tire.

begining pic #1.jpg # 2 pic.jpg side open hole pic.jpg 12 inch rim.jpg top view 2 inch math.jpg

I call her TRAIN WRECK !! very fitting because I am a locomotive Engineer. WE have a saying at work if you are not wrecking stuff you are not learning.

new over old 14.jpg hole covered.jpg rear shot with 345 tire.jpg foward pic looking at split 1.jpg

:thumbsup: hello from s carolina

Great project ! What exactly, are you doing to make it a wide body ?

I have no idea what I am doing , but it all started when I wanted a 70 road runner air grabber hood on my charger. so I bought one and put the 2 together. that was my first try at this custom stuff, but I spell custum different. Then I saw ben hermance's drawing of cannibal. A 1973 dodge charger, I was hooked. I knew I had to build it and I did. It is in rough body work but I plan on getting it a lot straighter for this summer to cruise around in, while my baby is getting widened.

IMG_0203 - Copy.JPG IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0092 - Copy.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_9656.jpg IMG_9644.jpg

I cut every panel but the roof and deck lid.

IMG_9648.jpg IMG_0665.JPG IMG_9714.jpg

Great project ! What exactly, are you doing to make it a wide body ?
the 1/4 panel now is 2 inches further out than the stock location like in the pic. I Never did this before I haul freight for a living, coal was king now mostly trash I haul to make a living, 15,000 tons at a time 155 cars 2 miles long with 3 AC locomotives in the lead and 2 in the middle of the freight train. The rear tail panel will be 1.5 inches wider. the wheels are 12 inches with a 6 inch back space 345 tire. The factory inner wheel house is intact not touched, the outer only needed 3/4 of a inch. but I wanted more room 355 to 405.

top view 2 inch math.jpg

I primed painted and undercoated the inside of the outer and inner rocker panel today and drilled holes for spot welds. when I put the floor halfs in in 2005 I put in 1/8 inch plate inner rockers, and tied them into the T boxes. I am on vacation this week so hope to get a lot done. But the big boss called asked if I could come in IF they cant move trains I said sure. ( supposed to be in the fla keys eating drinking and giving my cupcake really really long hugs. So looks like 8n hours a day in my garage WAHOOOOOOO. I would love to start tacking things in place by Friday. I just study pics and videos on you tube, I love the hand built cars channel , you can learn a lot, and tv shows. The roadster shop great people to deal with but some are south pole angry elfs LMAO. Anyone ever see the muscle rod shop in Antonio Texas they build some of Eric Brockmeyer design stuff . IT is over the TOP. I have done the 295 tire 315 now 345.

muscle rod shop.jpg outter rocker under coated.jpg inner plate .jpg 2 tires.PNG tire clearance.jpg

I decided to split the door 1 inch ., the 1/4 panel is out 2 inches. Started arts and crafts making templates for door jam lock pillar. I am making it out of 16 gauge. I cut up a junk door to practice where to cut. I have ben doing R&D for too long but I think I found what I want.View attachment 927202

split door.jpg close uop split door .jpg arts and crafts .jpg door jam .jpg shearing 16 gauge .jpg junk door.jpg

started on the rear today the car was hit in the right rear corner years ago. but making some progress. bringing the 1/4 out 1inch but some how wound up a little bigger. went to a mopar heaven junk yard today actually 3, but bought 2 68 charger door skins and 68 charger taillights. I fell in love with a 1990 pickup 8 foot bed regular cab from north Carolina has a blown trans it has 49k miles, thinking shop truck or 5,7 daily driver 2wd white cleanest I have seen I but a hold on it .there was a warlock but bed is to short . next custum 8 foot bed warlock. HAHAHA I need a 8 foot bed to carry sheet metal . one of these yards I went to will be on junk yard crawl this coming season. It is a A body but he loves BEE Z 1970 so there is over 20 beeZ and a 100 cornettZ mostly 1970. but roadrunners and charger are there. 340 cars every where. This is a rare car I guess 340 dart .

open tailight panel.jpg plugged tailight panel.jpg junk yard .jpg 340 dart.jpg

Did not get much done today but , got to spend time with a old friend that has 4 69 roadrunner's and 2 are HEMI cars but who cares , he has a 383 road runner, that now has a aluminum hemi that is one of the best riding cars I have ever ben in, and it has 518 at the wheel . YOU can not build cars with out lots of boxes piled up. ups and FED EX guy are on my Christmas list LOL

door shell.jpg hole in door.jpg boxes piled up.jpg

Ok got a little done today . MY daily driver in the winter is a 2007 PT cruiser ,, and the muffler fell off the other day , so I had to Deal with that, and my wifes car front brakes were making that bad steel on steel noise . LOL The PT cruiser was my moms and she bought it for my DAD. I helped her buy it , They are both passed so its my LOW profile car, I call it . I have had a 440 in it and lots of 727 trans, one close friend owns a trans shop ,, and its just a LOW profile car, all my other cars have what my cupcake calls are look at me colors. LOL so who cares at my age. It doesn't matter. tried to clean up a junk door skin, its still junk, but it will help me get the lines and ideas I want. wow with all that's going on in the world we all got plenty of time to work on our project cars , I guess. They cut back all the over time in work , I should say, but that will never happen, HAHAHA We move America LOL. The Air grabber I did in 2005.

start of junk door skin.jpg door skin paint stripping .jpg fender scallops .jpg NEW TODAY DOOR SKIN .jpg side pic hole car air grabber.PNG 4-5 april 2020   fender scollops .jpg

on vacation got some time in, on the front fender scallops . was supposed to be in the keys HAHAHA

fender scallops .jpg 69 fender cut.jpg front pic april 18 .jpg tape pic .jpg

I had considered doing something similar to a 70 Charger. I was going to start at the back edge of the R/T doorscoop,and flare out the whole side of the car. I was going to end the flare at the end of the stripe,and use a mesch screen to make IMSA type openings at the end of the flare. From the side the flare would have the optical illusion of appearing stock,because it ends with the stripe. from the rear the screened openings would have been seen on each side.. I may still attempt it on the Daytona stock car.

THAT sounds COOL I believe I met you years ago at auto rust tech cook out car show and you had your vert charger. Hope you are well. I want to find the correct screen and I do want to open it up to make it real but keep it some what stock appearing. Finding the materials that I have in my head,, then making what I thought up. Is way out of my league. But in the words of Winston Churchill " success is not final, Failure is not Fatal, IT IS THE COURAGE THAT COUNTS.'' I am afraid of heights, and if my wife ever finds out how much I spend on my cars. LOL but true. I finally started welding it had to cut them down to try to match the body lines.

scal fab.jpg scallop fab.jpg scallop installed.jpg 2 scalls installed.jpg front bee pic.jpg

I do remember going to that show, it was a good day. Judging by the way you do your door scallops, I would guess that my friends Gary and Pam Bieneke inspired you with their green SRT 71 Serpent Charger. People don't take kindly to body modifications to second generation Chargers. I get a lot of crap from people about the convertible, so be prepared to take some occasional criticism from the critics!

Yes I am . I don't go to car shows anymore partly for angry people. I mostly do not have the time. I work a lot of 12 hour shifts and a hour in each direction travel so I do not have a normal life. I drive my cars locally and to work when I know I can see them in the parking lot while I am working. My inspiration came from Ben Hermance when he did the cannibal rendition. Gary did reach out to me years ago about it on moparts hes got some cool cars for sure. MY now inspiration comes from Eric Brockmeyer. I started screwing car together and now back working on rear taillight panel deck lid is not in good shape it had 1/4 inch plastic on out side lip and 1/2 inch fiber glass on the inside patches that were brazed in so not sure I have the talent or time to spend a 100 more hours on it I got 2 days in it now. I stripped it of paint and started cutting out the crazy dented brazed patches. put it back on car to start figuring out rear spoiler lip.

deck lid damage may 8th.jpg deck lid stripped and rot removed may 8th.jpg mock up screwed in place may 8th.jpg forward pic on ground looking rear ward.jpg

It looks like you are really making progress on it! I am looking forward to seeing it all together! Where did you get those fender flares on the 73 Charger? I think something like those would work for the front fenders on my Daytona stock car.

Auto Transport Service
Back