• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 console location

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have a 4-speed console car apart enough to take some measurements to see if this looks right? I have tacked the console brackets in with the console level side to side and centered between the seats and a-pillars. The handle almost hits the console and does bump the side cover when putting it in reverse. I don't have another vehicle like this to compare to so could use some help.

View attachment 107098View attachment 107100

console

I have my 4 speed console apart on my '68 Charger and I can do some measuring for you in the morning. I'm using an Inland shifter but the measurements should be similar.

Attachments

• CONSOLE EDIT.jpg
    CONSOLE EDIT.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 354
Console pics

Here are some pics with measurements, hope this helps. I ran thru all the gears including reverse and the shifter never hit the console or the top plate.

Attachments

• CONSOLEEDIT1.JPG
    CONSOLEEDIT1.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 354
  • CONSOLEEDIT2.JPG
    CONSOLEEDIT2.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 376
  • CONSOLEEDIT3.JPG
    CONSOLEEDIT3.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 358
  • CONSOLEEDIT4.JPG
    CONSOLEEDIT4.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 347
That Inland handle seems to have better clearance than my Hurst. Is it sitting in the right position and screwed down?

It's sitting in the right position. In the second pic you can see the rear mounting bracket, I just didn't put the screws in because I am taking it back out to install a new carpet. I converted mine from an auto to a 4 speed.

Those consoles are always VERY close to the shifter, see if the rug helps you cure the banging problem.
Ron

Those consoles are always VERY close to the shifter, see if the rug helps you cure the banging problem.
Ron

By rug, do you mean the carpet under the console? I wouldn't think that will change anything. How close to the side panel should it be when in reverse?

Reverse

Here are a few pics showing it in reverse. Could it be the shifter handle itself is not seated all the way down into the shifter mechanism, therefore hitting the console ?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this might help.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at your pics and comparing them to the book, it looks like the base of your shifter might be different ?

Attachments

• 100_0844.jpg
    100_0844.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 100_0847.jpg
    100_0847.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 100_0845.jpg
    100_0845.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 355
  • img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 343
The other measurement I am curious about is if the front of a 4-speed console is exactly centered between the a-pillar posts. Anybody got an original example they could throw a tape measure on for me?

I think the whole console is shifted off center, but I'm in work and can't verify it at the moment, sorry.

This picture is probably useless.

Attachments

• '68 SS reference 015.jpg
    '68 SS reference 015.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 367
The automatic cars are different from the 4 speeds, the consoles are totaly different.

Here's some pictures of how min is situated in relation to the hole......

Attachments

• 2013_03160001.JPG
    2013_03160001.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 2013_03160002.JPG
    2013_03160002.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 2013_03160003.JPG
    2013_03160003.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 293
Here is where I am at and need to know if this is correct. From the same point on each side of the a-pillar to the inside chrome strip of the console top I have 28.25". The center of the rear most portion measures 31.25" to the top flange of the rockers. The console body is level from midpoint to the rear.

P3160061.JPGP3160062.JPGP3160063.JPGP3160064.JPGP3160065.JPGP3160066.JPGP3160067.JPGP3160068.JPGP3160069.JPG

bracket locations

I have a parts car that still has the console brackets still welded in. It's an automatic, but the front and rear brackets are the same.

The front bracket is 27 1/16" from the drivers a pillar to the drivers side of the bracket. The front bracket is located back from the firewall seam 4 1/2" on the passengers side and about 5 1/4" on the drivers side when you measure straigt forward to the firewall seam.

The rear bracket is 29 3/8" from the rocker weld lip to the drivers side hole per the last two pictures.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need more measurements. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

photo 3.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 6.JPGphoto 7.JPG

My car is together & the console is just laid in there at the moment, but those dimensiions you show, left to right are within 1/4" of what it looks like in my car. I'd say that you're good to go!

Last edited:
Are there any member in WI near H2E who would be willing to driver over and show him your setup so he can compare first hand and get this right? I wish i could or was closer to my car to take pics like many have but it would probably help if he had a real life example to get the measurements spot on. I'm sure he'd never ask and I may be over stepping bounds but if you are near, have a 68 - 70 b-body and you don't mind un screwing your console for him to get some comparison pics first hand and measurements by the same hand, it would be really cool. I wish i could do it but can't. nose pulled out .. carry on

Thanks guys - especially Mr. Cranium for all the pm's. I moved my front bracket a little more to the left and twisted it slightly like dsd1967's measurement and it is going to work fine. The handle does get very close to the side cover when in reverse, but I'm fairly certain this is how it should be. We talk about poor quality control on these cars and this is a good example. When I took the console off, I noticed that one of the screws for the rear bracket wasn't even able to hit the slot. I took pictures and front to back measurements and cut them out. When I installed them after the new floor was in, I went by my pictures. It just didn't fit nice. I happened to see a picture of Richards 68 and noticed his brackets were installed different than mine. It turns out that somebody building this car in 1969 reversed the middle and rear brackets. So that is when I started this thread, to find out how they should be.

The automatic cars are different from the 4 speeds, the consoles are totaly different.

Actually, they are not totally different. The overall mold, either 4spd or automatic is exactly the same and the mounts are in the same location. The only difference is the cutout for the trans tunnel and the holes for the trim mounting.

Auto Transport Service
Back