• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 coronet 727 NSS and Reverse lights

larris

Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 coronet the has a 727 transmission and I'm have trouble with my reverse lights. I jumpered them and they work fine. I narrowed it down to the brand new neutral safety switch that I have installed. The Neutral Safety function works but it will not turn the lights on when in the reverse position. I was wondering if anyone has run into this and can give me any pointers before I drain the fluid and drop the pan?

I had this same issue before with my 69 Super Bee. If I remember on mine, the plastic piece and metal shaft that go in the tranny wasn't extending fully to trigger the reverse lights, so I had to drop the pan and file down the piece that the NSS made contact with so that the plastic piece/shaft would fully extend thus triggering the reverse lights. I used a small metal file to sand down just enough. I also remember initially using a small washer over the metal shaft that would trigger the lights, but was afraid if it came loose and got in the tranny what it might do. So I looked at what the NSS was making contact with and did the sanding. And presto, reverse lights worked.

Have you tried a test light, My 69 Bee needed about a 1/4 turn more .Cold ,,,start right up lights work after warm up. Reverse lights worked ,But didn't want to start.

Before you pull the pan you could try some things. The power is switched so you have to have the ignition on. Pull the plug at the transmission and short the two outside terminals of the plug. If the backup lights come on, next I would remove the new switch, put the connector on it and depress the switch by hand. If the lights work, you may have a problem with the internal mechanism either out of adjustment or you have the wrong switch.

NSSwitches.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I will try the 1/4 turn in or out and if not I may have to try the dropping the pan and filing method to get it to work. I will let you'se know what I find.

Auto Transport Service
Back