• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Coronet Tail Light Mystery?

moparmusclecars

Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
Talked with a friend today,and he is restoring a 69 Super Bee. He brought something to my attention that I was not aware of. He had two different tail lights for the 69. One had a "raised" tail light lens, and one was more flat. He said something about one being the early style, and one the later, but he didn't know much more about it. My '69 Bee has the raised lens. Also the housing appears to be different between the two. I wanna say one only had socket holes for two lights. I think it was the flat lens one. Anyone know what was up with this stuff? Was the flat lens tail light for the early cars? I don't remember seeing those type before. Also, how do we tell the actual build date of our cars with the factory build sheet? What month did they consider a Coronet to be an early build and what month started a late build?

Last edited:
View attachment 275081Lynch Road build date of 5/20/1969. I have not seen a tail panel on a 500 or R/T from 69 that differ from this.

Not sure where the variation comes in,there is supposed to be a two and three bulb housing,the three bulb taking the raised lens.I have a pair of the more flat style but as I see it the housing will take either style. P2140299-001.JPGP2140298.jpg

Yes, there is a mid year change in the WH, WM, WP and WS rear lenses as described above.

The parts books shows a change "Before" and "After" 1/1/69 date for the change.

WH/WM referenced in section 8-55-7 of the '69 parts book and the WP/WS in section 8-55-194.

And did you know there is an early and later style ramcharger air box? (The black one) One has three air flaps and one has two on each side.

On the 500 and R/T type tail lights there is a version where the reverse light lens is flat and one where it is raised?
Not sure on the standard/SuperBee lights?

On the 500 and R/T type tail lights there is a version where the reverse light lens is flat and one where it is raised?
Not sure on the standard/SuperBee lights?

I believe he is referring to the Super Bee's, not the 500's and the R/T's. This all makes sense now. I did not know about two different Air Boxes, either. Good info, guys! Thanks!

so let me get this straight if possible. I have a set of flat lens stamped 69 WH are these correct for a 69 super bee

so let me get this straight if possible. I have a set of flat lens stamped 69 WH are these correct for a 69 super bee

Yes IF the Bee is an 'early' built car.
No if the Bee is a 'late' car.

Early and late being roughly defined as 1/1/69. As there is some overlap in part use, the further away from that date, the more correct or incorrect the tail lights could be. For example, if your car was built 1/2/69, toss a coin and use what you want. If it was built after 2/1/69, use the raised.

Thanks, guys. I just now had a minute to look at the rear end. No bolt on differential cover. It looks welded on from the factory. There is a big serial number on the driver side of the yoke cover ? Can’t quite read it until I raise the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back