• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger brake light problem

hutch55

Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my brake lights, they work when you apply the brake when headlights are off, but don't work when headlights are on, also whenI press the brake pedal my dash lights come on. turn signals work, running lights work flasher works , everything but my brake lights when headlight switch is on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A few items to check. Turn signal switch,headlight switch and the floor dimmer. Common issues in one or all three.

thanks I will , dimmer is new headlight switch is new, turn signal switch is new. but one thing I noticed about the switch is where the two ends plug in one side has more wires in it. the switch off of the turn signal has 7 wires and the other plug has 9 or 10. There is a xtra orange wire I have to hook to the white wires to make brake lights work. Could this be my problem?

You are supposed to have an extra orange wire that doesn’t go into the loom. It gets routed separately up the steering column to your gear selector light. If you have an automatic. But, the orange wire would not create that problem. It could be a brake switch issue. That should be located above you brake pedal stem, under the dash. You might have a bad brake return spring or it needs repositioned to create enough tension. For the brake light switch to work right. Check the brake switch by pushing the button in and out to see if brake lights turn off/on. Orange is constant power, designed for interior light bulbs.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back