• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger SE Value? Found in Backyard.

Rikker

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
I would like some advice. I own a 1971 charger, but always wanted a 1969 charger. I located a 1969 Charger SE , with no fender tag in a California backyard. The current owner had all the body work done a couple years ago and the body primed. The original 318 has been replaced with a 383(unknown if it runs). It's an automatic on the column. The interior needs to be restored completely. Crawled under it and can't find any rust, it looks great no rust. He wants $15K. Could anyone please let me know if it is worth buying for that price. Thank you

Taking your description at face value, yes it's worth it. But of course I'm just looking at a few words on a page, I didn't see the car. If it's a clean CA car, grab it. You said body work was done, I wonder what the car looked like before that and how much filler is hidden under the primer. And how well the body work was done. If it was amateur work you'll have to re-do everything. If it was top-notch work and the body needs nothing then 15K is a no-brainer. Just a word of warning, crawling under a car is just one step in looking for rust. There's a whole laundry list of places to check. Good luck, I'm near Riverside if you need a hand.

If what you described, it's worth 15k plus, pictures will be necessary to determine a better value.

:xscuseless:

Taking your description at face value, yes it's worth it. But of course I'm just looking at a few words on a page, I didn't see the car. If it's a clean CA car, grab it. You said body work was done, I wonder what the car looked like before that and how much filler is hidden under the primer. And how well the body work was done. If it was amateur work you'll have to re-do everything. If it was top-notch work and the body needs nothing then 15K is a no-brainer. Just a word of warning, crawling under a car is just one step in looking for rust. There's a whole laundry list of places to check. Good luck, I'm near Riverside if you need a hand.
Thank you I feel more comfortable now, I will take a closer look at the vehicle and take some pics. It basically has to be completely restored. The interior is pretty bad but all there. The engine and tranny has been removed so I was able to view those areas. The carpet has been removed or rotted out ,the floors are unmolested and feel solid. The fender tag is missing. Is there a way to research the vehicle by Vin# only? I would imagine the build sheet is gone as well. It basically is a rolling chasis.

If what you described, it's worth 15k plus, pictures will be necessary to determine a better value.

:xscuseless:
Thank you. Going back next week and will take some pics. Just bumped the fender tag is missing. Is there a way to research the vehicle by Vin#?

Thank you I feel more comfortable now, I will take a closer look at the vehicle and take some pics. It basically has to be completely restored. The interior is pretty bad but all there. The engine and tranny has been removed so I was able to view those areas. The carpet has been removed or rotted out ,the floors are unmolested and feel solid. The fender tag is missing. Is there a way to research the vehicle by Vin# only? I would imagine the build sheet is gone as well. It basically is a rolling chasis.
If you are from an investment point of view...walk away now, very quickly. If you are in love with the car, take along an experienced eye to assist with checking the car out. Take someone like @PatsPolara up on his offer....two sets of eyes are better than one. There are plenty of willing assistants here on FBBO - even if you only want tech advice. Make sure you check out the obvious locations where Chargers rust out - those 'repairs' will be the place to concentrate on. Don't get sucked in by the promise of what the car might be worth one day....that day has not yet arrived.

Be prepared to haggle and make sure you get good advice from a trusted friend/assistant.

No Fender Tag spells no Investment opportunity. But, it does mean you van build the car you want. Just don't expect to flip it for a huge profit some day down the line.

BTW I'm no expert, but I believe a search of car details by VIN only won't do you much good. You need at least a Fender Tag and/or Build Sheet for that.

I hope that helps. :)

If you are from an investment point of view...walk away now, very quickly. If you are in love with the car, take along an experienced eye to assist with checking the car out. Take someone like @PatsPolara up on his offer....two sets of eyes are better than one. There are plenty of willing assistants here on FBBO - even if you only want tech advice. Make sure you check out the obvious locations where Chargers rust out - those 'repairs' will be the place to concentrate on. Don't get sucked in by the promise of what the car might be worth one day....that day has not yet arrived.

Be prepared to haggle and make sure you get good advice from a trusted friend/assistant.

No Fender Tag spells no Investment opportunity. But, it does mean you van build the car you want. Just don't expect to flip it for a huge profit some day down the line.

BTW I'm no expert, but I believe a search of car details by VIN only won't do you much good. You need at least a Fender Tag and/or Build Sheet for that.

I hope that helps. :)
Thank you for all the great advice. It is not an investment for me but the car I always wanted. I had the same thought about building the car I want and not worrying about brining it back to original since the original engine/trans has been replaced and it appears to have been a basic 318 SE. I will post some pics next week and hope you guys will provide more good advice. Thanks again!

I was in the same boat when I bought my Coronet. It was a solid car (from NC) with no fender tag and no build sheet. It was a 318 car with granny gears... worth nothing as far as an investment. But I love the B bodies, and I'm building her my way... even changing the color of the interior and paint. I upgraded the entire drive line, suspension, brakes, etc. I don't collect cars; I wanted to drive the car I love. If your happy with your second inspection, go for it!

There are damn few cars that are "investment/ money makers". If the car is what you like, that's something. Solid cars are hard to find. Having an experienced eye with you is extremely valuable. Good luck.

You are kind of in the same boat as me, in regards to what the car is. My Charger is an original SE car, but had no fender tag or build sheet when I bought it back in the late 80's. Mine was a 383 2bbl car with auto on the column. It had a 440 in it when I bought it. Not having the fender tag or build sheet just means you can build it how you want it, because numbers matching and traceability are long gone.

I will say though that they didn't make near as many SE model Chargers as they did the base model or the R/T. Does that mean it will be worth more,.... not really, but you will see less of them running around. As said above, very few can be considered investments, and it sounds like you understand that and just want one, like a lot of people do,... including me. I know I will have WAY more into my car than it will ever be worth, but I've hung on to it since shortly after high school, it was the first car I bought for myself, so I don't really care. That being said,... 2nd Gen Chargers are pulling big money, so if it is as clean as you think it is,... I think it's worth the price.

According to the numbers I have found, they made 5 Charger SE's with a slant six motor (fifth digit in vin = B). Pretty rare! They made 9240 SE models with other various motor combinations (see charts below). SE models weren't as rare or desirable as hemi cars, 440 6pack cars, or 500's and Daytonas, but they are unique in that there were much less of them than regular Chargers or R/T's.

Charger.JPG Charger 2.JPG

Our local Dodge dealer was a VERY aggressive high performance dealer. Few '69 Hemi Chargers I recall. Did actually see the '69 500 Charger there. Never understood what they were for several years. Spring '71 that dealer had a line up of '69 Six Pak Super Bee's, about 20 - 24, every color offered, factory demo's, $1,200. A couple of 6BBL Runners too. Those were the days.

My buddy had a '68 Charger 383 4BBL. Ran pretty good, fun for me to drive. Get what you want don't count on it being an investment.

If you like it buy it.

Is it worth 15k? Yes.

Is it a good investment? About the same as a boat or camper or any other hobby. Buy it for your personal enjoyment not someone elses opinion.

If you like it buy it.

Is it worth 15k? Yes.

Is it a good investment? About the same as a boat or camper or any other hobby. Buy it for your personal enjoyment not someone elses opinion.
Thank you I hope to see it again next week and make the deal. I will post pics after. Thank you all again for the advice and support.

One thing to check also is if the 383 is an HP engine. This info is on a flat area by the distributor. And if it is the car you want then in my opinion, worth whatever you want/can pay. You only live once, go for it and fix it up right.

One thing to check also is if the 383 is an HP engine. This info is on a flat area by the distributor. And if it is the car you want then in my opinion, worth whatever you want/can pay. You only live once, go for it and fix it up right.
Thank you. I was able to get the seller to send me a pic of the number on the engine(see attached). Is it possible to determine the engine type/date from the pic? The numbers are 2536430-6 and it appears to have the date stamp?

IMG_0002.JPG

I forgot to add on the last reply. The vin number on the car contains a G which I believe means the car came with a 383, but I don't know if it is a High output ? The last 6 numbers of the vin on the car are 277628 , so I don't think this engine is the one that came with the car? Any assistance would be great.

I got the numbers off the engine 2536430-6 date 4/67 I looked up those numbers and it appears to be a 440? Is that correct? He told me he thought it was a 383 but now I think he is wrong?

IMG_0002.JPG

Am I seeing a 4-67 build date?[/QUOT
I decided to run the numbers and both sites I looked it appears to be a 440 are you able to confirm. If it is it is a great surprise! Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back