• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger Windshield

Charger1969B

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge Charger, and am having a hard time finding somebody to install my front and back windshields. I live in Portland Oregon, does anybody have any suggestions?
I have also thought about installing them by myself, how hard is it and does anybody have any tips, tricks or suggestions on how hard it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cody

Watch some YouTube videos and find a helper. It's not difficult. I have installed 2 with a helper. and the third one I did by myself. All successfully.

Yeah, most of the places I spoke to were only interested in doing newer cars and installations dealing with insurance claims. I'm assuming so that they could charge the hell out of them for a quick and easy install. I have help, so I should be good in that aspect, but have heard some horror stories about newer glass not fitting, and it being a pain in the *** getting it in.
I bought new front and rear glass from Auto Metal Direct (AMD), anybody have any problems with them or their products?
Plus anybody have any tips or tricks I should look out for?

Thanks!

Read the thread I linked above. When I write about a technical topic, I cover all of the steps and the various troubles that I encounter along the way. I do ramble a bit and veer off topic.....and sometimes over-explain but my threads are not lacking in information.

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger, and am having a hard time finding somebody to install my front and back windshields. I live in Portland Oregon, does anybody have any suggestions?

did some lowlife throw a brick though it?

Ha no, i'm in the process of a complete rebuild which included new paint and windows! When I get it finished, I'll make sure not to drive it through any large "protests" here in the Peoples Republic of Portland!

It's not difficult, but watch some YouTube videos. Make sure to use sealant between the body and the windshield gasket.
With that said. Glass shops don't want the headache of dealing with older cars.
1) almost nobody has experience or sometime specialty tools for older stuff.
2) used, restored or reproduction parts may not fit well.
3) a car fresh out of paint with a box full of parts, that you didn't remove. NO thank you!
4) parts missing and/or not available anymore
5) cars who's fit and finish was poor back then compare to today.
6) high owner expectations .

What should a shop charge and do they want the headache. Most modern windshields and parts can be picked up at the local warehouse and a job takes less than an hour.

Last edited:
So I started to try and test fit my gasket, and I notice that the bottom side of the gasket really doesn't have any sort of lip to fit the gasket to, except three little tabs. Plus the lower corners seem to just sit there and just gets urethaned down to the face. What forms the weathertight seal at the lower corners and the bottom, just the urethane bead?

For the FRONT:
The factory service manual that I have states that sealant is to be placed along the bottom of the "fence" and up approx 12" on each side. I put sealant on the entire perimeter.
The manual states to install the top corners first, then to pry the rubber out along each side and lower corner. I have done it with the bottom in first and with the top in first. Both were a bit difficult but with a helper on the inside, it was a little bit easier. The wife pressed the gasket forward as I was outside prying it out and over the glass. Awhile back, I bought a box of plastic sticks specifically for installing windshields in vehicles with these gaskets. I used some window cleaner as a lubricant for the sticks.
The sealant gets smeared around a bit but the trick is to let it dry, then razor scrape it off in a clean manner.

Auto Transport Service
Back