• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge L600

Jiffykids

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Dodge L600 original Sunoco fuel truck with the factory 318 four speed and two speed rear-end. Runs great and I drive it around.

My question to (someone) kinda in the know is this.
Do I put my 440 in this thing and make it just the way I want? Or do I leave it as original as I can because good luck in finding Another one.
If it was a 69 car with a factory 440 it would be a no brainer, but the industrial vibe is throwing me.

I don't think it's a money thing. Is it a history thing?

( Tuff question to try and frame...)

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I can't think of a starting point.

UHH-800_7978.jpg

UHH-800_7976.jpg

UHH-800_7981.jpg

UHH-800_7980.jpg

Pretty cool the way it is. Why go to 440? Need more speed? LOL
Seriously, it won't be a bolt in. Bell housing and related stuff will be different between the 318 and 440. I know several other things such as oil pan and exhaust manifolds are different between car engines and pickup engines as well. But don't know anything about the heavy trucks.

I,d put a 12 valve cummins in it personally but not paint or restore it unless you can afford to make it totaly Mint. That said put a 440 in it if you want,screw the 318.....Its a BIG girl It needs some more torque

Last edited:
I think it’s a pretty cool old truck. If you want a 440 in it, put a 440 in it, it’s your truck. I don’t think it would hurt the value any. But I’d keep the original parts with it.

I don't think a different engine would hurt it. I second the 12V Cummins idea. They're relatively cheap to buy and will be way cheaper to operate than an overtaxed gas engine. I'd look for a rusty/wrecked 2WD Cummins powered pickup to you get all the goodies for the swap.

Buy a wrecked cop car and throw a modern hemi and trans in it.

What do you haul in it?

That IS seriously cool, but practicality concerns me (I'm a little funny about that).

Ramp truck/roll back would be a cool, practical use, as would a 5th wheel to pull a travel trailer.

A friend of mine has one of those. As he bought it, it had a flat bed on it and already had a 12v Cummins in it. Right now, he is converting it to a ramp truck to haul one of his old Mopars to car shows.

I have a 69 Dodge L600 original Sunoco fuel truck with the factory 318 four speed and two speed rear-end. Runs great and I drive it around.

My question to (someone) kinda in the know is this.
Do I put my 440 in this thing and make it just the way I want? Or do I leave it as original as I can because good luck in finding Another one.
If it was a 69 car with a factory 440 it would be a no brainer, but the industrial vibe is throwing me.

I don't think it's a money thing. Is it a history thing?

( Tuff question to try and frame...)

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I can't think of a starting point.

View attachment 1455389

View attachment 1455390

View attachment 1455391

View attachment 1455392
In 69 it would of had a 361 or 413 big block. My advice leave it alone and run the 318. To install a factory looking big block will be a big expensive job. Thinking diesel you might be looking at gear changes. Unless you are pulling the tank and doing a full refab into a hauler leave it alone.

You guys are floating some good ideas...
I'm thinking about pulling the tank and using this one as a hauler. I like the idea of the truck being a 69.
Same year as my charger, that on the back would be pretty bitchen.
I would feel more comfortable with that plan if it's not a (you just ruined an original piece) thing.

If this truck has a 318, it is probably actually a 318-3, which is a heavy duty truck engine. Different heads and valvetrain, etc. More torque than a car engine.

I've seen several poly 318 heavier trucks.

Not sure if the poly was considered an "industrial" engine and kept in production later than it's 1966 (67 in Canada) use in pass cars, like the 361 and 413 were.

You guys are floating some good ideas...
I'm thinking about pulling the tank and using this one as a hauler. I like the idea of the truck being a 69.
Same year as my charger, that on the back would be pretty bitchen.
I would feel more comfortable with that plan if it's not a (you just ruined an original piece) thing.
I did up a model a few years ago.

GEDC0120.jpg

GEDC0127.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back