• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 dodge N97 noise reduction code

Kilrbee

Local time
12:22 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Charger R/T that has the N97 Noise Reduction Code, Does any one have a Dealer option code book or have any info on what that code entails, IE turn down exhaust, hood pad etc.? Any information would be super helpful!
TIA!

Can't help on the code, but can on the tail pipes! ECS are correct.
beerestoration2018 389.JPG
beerestoration2018 395.JPG
beerestoration2018 534.JPG

1969-1971 Noise Reduction Package - California cars with U,V and R engine codes that have N97 code. (includes a H pipe, mufflers and resonators)

Forgot about the resonator's and I guess the Charger R/T would be a 440. Mine's a 383..

In Wes Eisenchecks' No 5 book he states this " N87 (N97 ?) Noise reduction package: This package was part of a California state law which mandated that cars shipped to that state have noise reduction components. The option consisted of a dual snorkel air cleaner, special mufflers and turned down exhaust. ,,,, In his list of options there is no N87 but there is an N97 so I am assuming that N87 is an error.

Does the under hood pad come with the dual snorkel air cleaner or the N97 package?

Does the under hood pad come with the dual snorkel air cleaner or the N97 package?

does your car have code J55 (69-71 Undercoating with Hood Pad)

Hood pad is generally only noted to have come with the undercoat package... J55, but possibly part of N97 as well??

That’s Californication.

I cant answer your question but i can tell what i know.Wes's book also says " 383 road runners destined for the golden state recieved a dual snorkel air cleaner in ordinance (sic) with california law on noise pollution. These cars also had more restrictive, quieter mufflers and a turned-down rear exhaust without the customary tips". He doesnt mention the hood pad in this quote. Whether this applies to a california charger too, i dont know. I would guess that it would.
I have what i think is a california sold 69 runner, that has a "7" in a vacant spot on the broadcast sheet, (lynch road used only the final digit) in the N engine accessories section. That and my factory turn-down tailpipes (with No resonators) tell me mine is a california car.
Mine is an A12 car, so it naturally doesnt have a hood pad, or a dual snorkel.
I personally believe that all the above mentioned stuff was mandated on a california car, hood pad, dual snorkel, resonators and turndowns. I would be happy to see it proved, one way or the other.

I don't know the specific answer to the question, but just wanted to provide some information on my car in case it is of value for the discussion.

1970 California Plymouth Road Runner. 383 4 speed. Exhaust had been replaced when I got it but I assume it got the turn down exhaust. It is a N96 (Air Grabber) car, so it did have the full Air Grabber setup - no dual snorkel for that. It also had the evaporative emissions option, which specified a Holley carb, special vent tube in the trunk, and a special gas tank, plus plumbing to hook it all together.

I cant answer your question but i can tell what i know.Wes's book also says " 383 road runners destined for the golden state recieved a dual snorkel air cleaner in ordinance (sic) with california law on noise pollution. These cars also had more restrictive, quieter mufflers and a turned-down rear exhaust without the customary tips". He doesnt mention the hood pad in this quote. Whether this applies to a california charger too, i dont know. I would guess that it would.
I have what i think is a california sold 69 runner, that has a "7" in a vacant spot on the broadcast sheet, (lynch road used only the final digit) in the N engine accessories section. That and my factory turn-down tailpipes (with No resonators) tell me mine is a california car.
Mine is an A12 car, so it naturally doesnt have a hood pad, or a dual snorkel.
I personally believe that all the above mentioned stuff was mandated on a california car, hood pad, dual snorkel, resonators and turndowns. I would be happy to see it proved, one way or the other.

Yes, the lone 7 in the vacant spot is the N97 code. Thank you for the info, it looks like the only question left is the hood pad which I would think would be part of the noise reduction but would like a definite answer tho...

another N97 question, does the 440 receive the intake manifold silencer insulation with the N97 package? The parts book shows it for all 383 and 440 engines. Im only used to seeing it on the C-body tuna boats...

Did these 69 440 Chargers have vacuum green NOX solenoids.

See them on various 66-69 cars. California 66 and 67 Hemi got them.

Auto Transport Service
Back