• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 GTX Chrome Wheels, original or dealer installed?

2gtsandanx

Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
I bought the GTX almost 52 years ago (bought in January 1969).

Every once in a great while I get the desire to bring her back to like. She still has the original red line tires on the front on the original wheels that came from the dealer.

I looked in the past but did not find anything positive. The GTX came with chrome wheels, not mags or slotted wheels, but what looked to be original stamped steel wheel but chromed.

Were chrome wheels a factory option or is this probably something the dealer put on?

I think the window sticker is still in the trunk of the car, but it has been a while since I seen the car.

thank you

Like this?

517m21IjfHL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

If your car is an "early" build, maybe they are factory.

IIRC mid year 69 they went to a painted wheel with a trim ring.

I'm sure someone will post a correction if I'm wrong.

Yes on the window sticker, I think it is still there, but not positive.

Yes on "early build" I bought the GTX in January, 1969. I'm sure the build was in 68, but not sure when.

Wheels looked like

fp818.png

except chrome. No trim ring, dust cap painted. Slots around the edges as pictured, nothing "fancy" but chromed. Castle chrome lug nuts I think they are one piece but could have the steel cap.

Chromed "steelies" 99.9% NOT factory.

I "remember" the wheels as being factory, but 50 years does interfere just a little bit with true memories :)

Chrome magnum 500’s not factory available on any 1969 Plymouth. Trim ring only. Doesn’t matter the build date. Sorry, stop posting false statements.

Any dealership could install whatever they had available, or the what the customer wanted.

Chrome steel wheels were sold by the thousands at tire shops back in the day.

Lighten up.

I said someone would correct me.

Oh I’m lightened up, no sweat.

The thing is when posts like this are made, then people say, “yep I read it on the b-body website that chrome magnums came on early build 1969 cars.”

And from now on they will spread that info as gospel. And so on.

Last edited:
They switched to trim ringed wheels after 68,
don't recall any chromed in 69

Chrome steelies (chrome reverse!) were a common "day 2" modification. No reason they couldnt have been put on by the dealer. I put some chrome reverse on my 55 chevy, back in the day. I think they disappeared because the chrome job got so cheap that they all rusted. Thats the reason i will never have chrome wheels.

I agree, the wheels easily could have been a dealer install. I know they were not installed for me, but could have been put on before I seen the GTX. I did not order the car, it was bought off the lot. Not in the showroom, on the lot with snow on it, hood raised to show off the motor. The chrome wheels did not make sense then and they still don't now.

I'll look for the window sticker and post what I find.

Check under the back seat for you build sheet too!!!

Yes on the window sticker, I think it is still there, but not positive.

Yes on "early build" I bought the GTX in January, 1969. I'm sure the build was in 68, but not sure when.

Wheels looked like

View attachment 1037836

except chrome. No trim ring, dust cap painted. Slots around the edges as pictured, nothing "fancy" but chromed. Castle chrome lug nuts I think they are one piece but could have the steel cap.
This is a 64 era wheel , they had the larger 3 bump ring for the big dog dishes.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Just because I want to invoke some thought. I know it is a Dodge but a picture is worth a thousand words. 1968 inventory was used up on early 1969 models. This has been proven over and over. I agree, a chrome "magnum" wheel on a 1969 was not offered, but to say it never happened?.....well, see below....

D

69_Coronet0002.jpg

Yes and those promotional photos and brochures were the pilot cars and they were photographed well before the production run was coming off the assembly lines.

Many many examples and unavailable pieces and prior year parts documented on those photos.

The 1970 Belvedere filmstrip of new model introductions shows a standard dash with the long sweep speedo instead of the round gauges in a GTX.

Was it a mistake or did they decide after the filmstrip to put a rally dash in all GTX cars for 1970.

Auto Transport Service
Back