• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Heater Control Restoration

Jack Luckhowec

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
Mopar experts, looking for advice how to restore the control knobs on my non-A/C
IMG_20200724_082301.jpg
69 GTX. All suggestions / recommendations appreciated

Here's what I did with my controls (A/C so even more knobs):

Scuffed and painted the knobs black. Used rub-on dry transfer letters for the script. Sprayed matte clear coat on top to protect the script. Came out perfect and looks much better than the available decals.

Scuffed and painted the knobs black. Used rub-on dry transfer letters for the script. Sprayed matte clear coat on top to protect the script. Came out perfect and looks much better than the available decals.

this is exactly how I did mine as well

Thanks for the feedback; can you tell me more about the rub-on letters?? Where do I buy??

I agree the stickers are cheesy; hence today's post

Thanks again!!

Jack

I know you guys are going to laugh and think it looks hokey, but not knowing about the rub on letters, I used a label maker on the one side that was worn off. The font was exactly the same as well as the letter size. Probably not as nice as the rub on, but not bad and I have yet to have anyone spot it.

I painted flat black and tried to fill the letters with a fine tip paint pen but it does not look great. I am going to try the rub-on lettering next.

RGAZ

I used the stickers and sealed them with clear plastic paint to keep the letters from peeling or rubbing off.

Auto Transport Service
Back