• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Factory AC Upgrade - Compressor Switch?

LowBikeMike

Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
Working on 69 Road Runner factory AC, previous owner updated to Sanden style compressor, all other parts appear to be factory or newer replacement of same style. I've noticed there is NO pressure switch of any type that would cycle the compressor, so the compressor runs ALL the time. This model originally used the EPR valve in the compressor which is obviously gone with the new compressor. What are you guys with factory AC using for switches when upgrading your compressor. I've seen the cycling switches that Bouchillon (and others sell) that measures temperature at the evaporator to turn the compressor on and off but wondering if they really work. The system works fine currently, but I'm concerned about a failure with the compressor not cycling.

LowBikeMike,

I am using a complete system with the temperature cycling switch on the suction line from Bouchillon. I have had it for 10 years. No issues. It cycles the compressor properly and maintains a good supply temperature.

Thanks for the reply. Confirming you have the probe from the cycling switch on the evaporator side of the expansion valve and wrapped in AC tape? I went ahead and ordered a switch and AC tape from the local NAPA store yesterday. Figured I'd give it a try and report back.

Auto Transport Service
Back