• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Roadrunner 3 Speed Wiper Switch Resistor

Propwash

Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
Need some help again fella's!!

I wanted to pick your guys brains on something. Last time I moved the dash around, I heard something fall to the ground. Under further examination I noticed a chunk of what I believe to be a resistor, had fallen off (right side of the switch in the pic). It's a 3-speed wiper switch and needless to say they're not your everyday thing. 1st off i'm pretty nervous and not too optimistic this thing will even work anymore...Soooo, where do I find a new one? Anyone have any kind of spec info on these? Is this something I could find at Radio Shack?

wsr.jpg

It's a pretty high wattage resistor but I'm not sure the resistance value. You can measure it with an Ohmmeter and most likely find something at RS that would work. It might even still work as is.

If you can see any numbers on it, check out this:

http://www.mouser.com

They have almost any electronic part you need. From the leads I can see you might be able to cut near the resistor body and solder on a replacement if needed.

Just looking at it, I'd say its around a 5 watt (maybe a little smaller) wirewound ceramic sealed power resistor. The only way to tell the resistance value is to either accurately measure it, or look at the code on the resistor itself to see what it is. From the looks of it, I would say the resistor itself is still intact. Just lost a chunk of the ceramic case around it.

Yes, it can be replaced easily enough. You just need to identify the value and wattage first. Any good electronics parts house would have them. Radio Shaft is not a "good" parts house, but may be your easiest source since you probably do not deal with electronics on a regular basis.

Have you checked the FSM to see if it gives you any information on the resistor?

Thanks for all the great advice gent's! I couldn't find any specific info in the Service Manual thus far. I went to a local electronic supply store and they do have these resistors available. The electrician there also specified that the old resistor is probably alright as well. I guess for the time being i'll wait to see if this old one will still do the trick and if not, it's only a couple screws to take the switch back out..

Thanks again!

I've been doing a little more research myself on this. I looked at my FSM for info and it does not say what the resistor value is. It DOES say that the resistor on the switch is for the "HI speed" and there is a "resistance wire in the harness" for MEDIUM speed. Evidently, no resistance for LOW speed.

So, I measured the switch resistor on one of my three speed wiper switches. It measured 25 ohms. It also measured 7/8" long, by ~3/8" x 3/8" square. Then I looked at Ohmite series axial lead power resistors and guess what? A 5 watt power resistor is almost that identical physical size. The 3 watt version was only slightly smaller, but if I were going to replace the resistor, I would use the 5 watt version. The extra wattage does not in any way hurt you, in fact it just gives you more of a safety margin for the heat disappation.

As for Radio Shack, they have an NTE power resistor (NTE is a well known reliable brand) that would probably work just fine for this application. It is a 5 watt, 22 ohm axial.

5W022 - 5W 22 OHM 5%Model: 5W022 | Catalog #: 55047930
$1.09

Attachments

• 5W 22 Ohm.jpg
    5W 22 Ohm.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 337
Thanks again M & M..... I went with your advice on the 5 watt unit and also confirmed it as well. I ended up buying a 27 ohm resistor, being my Fluke meter was reading out 28 on the old. The boys over at radio Shack thought I was speaking french when i was trying to explain what I needed and were much more interested in trying to sell me a phone or camera. A couple fella's at a local electrical supply store went out of there way to help me out and get me the correct part...

Thanks again fella's..

r7.jpg

r9.jpg

Thanks again M & M..... I went with your advice on the 5 watt unit and also confirmed it as well. I ended up buying a 27 ohm resistor, being my Fluke meter was reading out 28 on the old. The boys over at radio Shack thought I was speaking french when i was trying to explain what I needed and were much more interested in trying to sell me a phone or camera. A couple fella's at a local electrical supply store went out of there way to help me out and get me the correct part...

r9.jpg

Nice job, Proppy! :yes: It's hard to tell for sure what value those resistors were supposed to be since we don't know the % tolerance of the original factory resistors. Mine may have been on the low side of the tolerance and your's on the high side. Also, differences in the accuracy of our DVM's and whether or not you zero'ed out your test leads before measuring makes a slight difference too. Just for grins, mines a Fluke also, model 87. The 27 ohm is probably a safer bet anyway. I just didn't see a 27 available in 5 watt when I was looking at Radio Shaft online. I see you also insulated the leads once you installed the resistor on the switch. Again, nice job! Should work well for you. :eek:ccasion14:

Should anyone happen to run in to an old resistor with the painted stripes on it they are easy enough to read all you have to remember is that
" Bad Boys Run Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls"

That is the old resistor color code and it often works on wiring also
Bad=0=Black, Boys=1=Brown, R=2=Red, Our=3=Orange, Young =4=Yellow,
Girls=5=Green, Behind=6=Blue, Victory=7=Violet, Garden=8=Grey & Walls=9=White.
For higher numbers on wires, like say 12 would be white with a red stripe. Also remember the last stripe usually be silver or gold meaning 10% or 5% possable variance.
And that is my almost usless tidbit of info for today. It may just help you out some day,it has helped me.

Nice job, Proppy! :yes: It's hard to tell for sure what value those resistors were supposed to be since we don't know the % tolerance of the original factory resistors. Mine may have been on the low side of the tolerance and your's on the high side. Also, differences in the accuracy of our DVM's and whether or not you zero'ed out your test leads before measuring makes a slight difference too. Just for grins, mines a Fluke also, model 87. The 27 ohm is probably a safer bet anyway. I just didn't see a 27 available in 5 watt when I was looking at Radio Shaft online. I see you also insulated the leads once you installed the resistor on the switch. Again, nice job! Should work well for you. :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks M & M and I truely do appreciate the time you took to explain, dig up info and give advice on all my questions. I owe you one buddy!

Should anyone happen to run in to an old resistor with the painted stripes on it they are easy enough to read all you have to remember is that

That is the old resistor color code and it often works on wiring also
Bad=0=Black, Boys=1=Brown, R=2=Red, Our=3=Orange, Young =4=Yellow,
Girls=5=Green, Behind=6=Blue, Victory=7=Violet, Garden=8=Grey & Walls=9=White.
For higher numbers on wires, like say 12 would be white with a red stripe. Also remember the last stripe usually be silver or gold meaning 10% or 5% possable variance.
And that is my almost usless tidbit of info for today. It may just help you out some day,it has helped me.

Great info Jessipup! I'll be sure to hang on to it...

Wow Jess, that version is really tamed down from what I learned in school. We were taught to remember:

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly!"

And yes, that is the way to tell resistance and tolerance on the lower wattage resistors. 1/8th up to about 1 or 2 watt resistors will have the color code on them. Of course, this has all but gone away with the advent of SMT electronics (Surface Mount Technology) which is MUCH smaller and uses MUCH less power. Progress, I guess!

Just out of curiosity, how did yo know it was bad? Looking at the picture some of the ceramic is broken off but none of the resistor winding are showing so it should still work fine. The outer ceramic is for heat dissipation. Just curious.

Just out of curiosity, how did yo know it was bad? Looking at the picture some of the ceramic is broken off but none of the resistor winding are showing so it should still work fine. The outer ceramic is for heat dissipation. Just curious.

Bigmanjbmopar,

I did not test the part to see if it was good or not. To me it's broke being 25% of the ceramic is gone, thus the original itegrity is comprimised. I don't know how that chunk of missing ceramic is going to affect the perfromance and lifespan of the resistor. I guess that would be a question for the engineer's that design them. A $2.19 resistor vs. 20 minutes upside down under the dash or my wipers quitting during the rain made the choice easy. I'm not a big fan of the saying "it should be good" when it comes to anything on my cars. It's either right or wrong, no in between. The worst feeling is hoping in your car and wondering about that certain part that might just so happen to go out on you because it's questionable.

Being the dash is pulled out, it was perfect time to take care of it anyways..Just gives me a piece of mind and I don't have to wonder if it's not going to work or prematurely fail, that's all.

Goes with that old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Auto Transport Service
Back