• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 roadrunner convertible top switch power source

paul1969cars

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi

Just joined the forum. I have two cars. 1969 dodge charger 440 4spd numbers matching car that is being restored now. Also have 1969 plymouth roadrunner convertible 383 4spd numbers matching that Im doing some work on.
Prior owner of roadrunner hacked out wiring for convertible top under dash and added an awful switch to operate the top.

I installed the correct top switch in dash.

I have a new harness that plugs into back of switch

This harness has three wires in it

Two of the wires get connected in kick panel of driver side to the wires that go back to the convertible top pump in rear seat

The third wire off the harness is to provide power to the switch.

I need to know where this wire connects to. Is there another harness or does it connect to a relay or does it go to the starter solenoid?

I dont know because someone before me pulled out harness

The Welcome Wagon is to introduce yourself to the group and show off your car (s). I moved this to Electrical. Welcome to FBBO.

I am not 100 percent but I believe it was right off the ammeter stud and there was a circuit breaker used.

If it's like a 70, it goes right off the hot side of the AMP gauge, which is horrible and I'd recommend a relay instead.

I just looked and the power wire is fed off the ammeter red wire with a circuit breaker to protect it. There was a short what I would call buss bar. It bolted direct to the circuit breaker stud and ammeter stud. Off the breaker it went to the power top switch. On some models there was a splice that also fed the power window safety relay.

I just looked and the power wire is fed off the ammeter red wire with a circuit breaker to protect it. There was a short what I would call buss bar. It bolted direct to the circuit breaker stud and ammeter stud. Off the breaker it went to the power top switch. On some models there was a splice that also fed the power window safety relay.
Thanks

So the few replies I got basically say that its off the amp meter. Thanks for looking guys, I know its not easy to look up under that dash. This is the wiring diagram I got off line. If you follow the power line you will see if goes to the starter solenoid. There seems to be a harness off the solenoid that clips to this power wire. I ordered additional wiring diagrams and will double check. When I got the car the prior owner just ran a wire directly to the battery. This is not correct for sure. Will research some more. Currently Im going to convert my amp meter to volts while my cluster is being restored as we speak so I dont know if that will be still ok to connect to it. Thanks for info.

roadrunner diagram in color.PNG

Hi Paul, where did you get that diagram. I found one in black and white off mymopar.com, but haven't found a color one yet.Was that free or did you pay for it?

Hi Paul, where did you get that diagram. I found one in black and white off mymopar.com, but haven't found a color one yet.Was that free or did you pay for it?
I forget where I got the diagram but it was free. was on line somewhere. I took a snap shot of the image and saved it.

Thanks

So the few replies I got basically say that its off the amp meter. Thanks for looking guys, I know its not easy to look up under that dash. This is the wiring diagram I got off line. If you follow the power line you will see if goes to the starter solenoid. There seems to be a harness off the solenoid that clips to this power wire. I ordered additional wiring diagrams and will double check. When I got the car the prior owner just ran a wire directly to the battery. This is not correct for sure. Will research some more. Currently Im going to convert my amp meter to volts while my cluster is being restored as we speak so I dont know if that will be still ok to connect to it. Thanks for info.

View attachment 1400496
The information I gave you is from the factory FSM. Forget what you are finding on line on these diagrams. They are not always correct. You asked the question and got the right answer here. Yes you can hook the feed at your voltmeter connection. Just protect it with a breaker.

The information I gave you is from the factory FSM. Forget what you are finding on line on these diagrams. They are not always correct. You asked the question and got the right answer here. Yes you can hook the feed at your voltmeter connection. Just protect it with a breaker.
thanks

So I got confirmation. this is the hookup for the power top switch. this is behind the cluster and behind the amp meter.

IMG_4694.jpg

So I got confirmation. this is the hookup for the power top switch. this is behind the cluster and behind the amp meter.

View attachment 1400583
That's what I described above. I was not sure on the exact mounting. If you are switching to a voltmeter all your ammeter wires could go on the circuit breaker terminal with the plastic cap. You will need to feed your voltmeter from a keyed 12 volt source. Otherwise it would be hot all the time draining the battery.

I'd agree with what was posted and as I mentioned before, which is the hot side of the amp gauge is used, but it's a **** design and you should consider using a relay instead as drawing all the amperage through the bulkhead for the top motor is asking for trouble down the road.

Last edited:
I'd agree with what was posted and as I mentioned before, which is the hot side of the amp gauge is used, but it's a **** design and you should consider using a relay instead as drawing all the amperage through the bulkhead for the top motor is asking for trouble down the road.
Yep. This is what I did and mounted them on the cross brace between the rear wheel wells. They are hidden by the well liner but easily accessed from the trunk should one **** the bed.

my 69 GTX convertible is missing a behind the dash relay. a flat triple plug goes to
the relay and another 12 gauge tan feed comes off the relay and powers the power windows.
in the repair manual, i could only find this set up under the fury for 69.
whoever removed that relay on my car over 25 years ago, tied all those wires together with no relay.

i think i found the relay on Ebay, but they want a
lot
if money for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back