• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 RR doesn't turn over!

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had to get a new starter because the other starter was drawing to much power and not working. I put the new starter in and now I have lights and everything works except it won't turn over. I turn the key and nothing. Do you think I ruined the starter relay with the bad starter? When I test the battery I get 11 volts, is that to low to turn over? I know nothing about electrical and starting so I could use some help. Thanks guys!

Your surface charge should be at 12VDC +- .5 volt.

You can always jump the starter relay and see if she kicks over.

With 11 volts something should move.My money is on the relay. Check the power on the other terminal of the starter relay to make sure its closing the switch. One post will have 24 hour power and the other will only have power when the ignition switch closes(key turn). If you are getting battery voltage at relay post then check at starter. Or spend 20 bucks on a new relay and odds are it will fix the issue. Then test drive the car back to the parts store and buy another one and keep it in the glove box.

Your surface charge should be at 12VDC +- .5 volt.

You can always jump the starter relay and see if she kicks over.

How do you do that? I can't get another car close enough to jump because its in the garage. If the battery is to low shouldn't I at least get a click?

With 11 volts something should move.My money is on the relay. Check the power on the other terminal of the starter relay to make sure its closing the switch. One post will have 24 hour power and the other will only have power when the ignition switch closes(key turn). If you are getting battery voltage at relay post then check at starter. Or spend 20 bucks on a new relay and odds are it will fix the issue. Then test drive the car back to the parts store and buy another one and keep it in the glove box.

Actually I have another relay, I'll go try it now.

Just stick a screw driver between the two contacts on the firewall mounted starter relay...it should roll over.

How do you do that? I can't get another car close enough to jump because its in the garage. If the battery is to low shouldn't I at least get a click?

11 should do something unless the battery is trashed. Do the lights dim really bad when you twist the key? You may drop to zero when you load the battery.

Stick something metal between the arrows.
65A0B3E4-837D-4564-8878-4E659F0CAD40.jpeg

Actually I have another relay, I'll go try it now.

It looks like it was relay, I put a new one in and got clicks. Not sure if it was grinding or clicks but I got something. I hope it wasn't grinding. I think I may have a bad battery too, the voltage went down to 8 volts so I am charging it.

If your voltage went to 8v while cranking (or attempting to) you have a dead cell.
11v (static) is about equal to a dead battery.

battery voltage.jpg

Well, I charged the battery a little and got it to turn over. The starter was wining and then clicked. I think I got a bad battery, what's you guys thought's? Should a brand new starter wine?

Same car with all the bad wiring? Your playing with fire!

Yes, I know, I will be getting a new harness soon. I can't believe how messed up this wiring is!

Yes, I know, I will be getting a new harness soon. I can't believe how messed up this wiring is!
clean your bulkhead and connectors and add some die electric grease inside the bulkhead also.

Auto Transport Service
Back