• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1969 Satellite to Roadrunner Conversion Project- Not my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cori Ewing

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
This Satellite to Roadrunner conversion project was a passion of a Broomfield CO police detective who died too young. I'm a friend of the widow and trying to help her find a buyer. She needs to find a good home for this project so she can sell their house and move.
No engine or transmission but a ton of parts to make a Roadrunner-look roller. I don't have a solid parts inventory (some can be seen in the pictures) so this is complicated but with the right interested buyer we can get your questions answered.
I don't have a price yet so input from the community or other ways to find a buyer would be appreciated. I have no stake in this and am not getting paid, just trying to do right by a friend and honor a good cop and B-body fan.
Car is garaged in Colorado, zip code 80601 near Brighton.
-Cori
IMG_1693.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_1690.jpg
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1688.jpg
IMG_1694.jpg
IMG_1695.jpg

Probably needs to be in General Discussion right now, so we can comment and offer advice.

Something in that shape is tuff to transport ?probally better off trying local Facebook or Craigslist local Or make it a roller then it’s easer to sell ,come up with a price ,not being a Roadrunner hurts the price big time it cost the same to build a clone if it’s soild body put a price on probably only worth 3or 4 grand and it’s hard to ship Good Luck

I have a shell (real RR) that's going out to body and paint tomorrow. As it sits with all the metalwork now fresh and solid I have $30k into it and that's not taking into account the value of the original shell - just new metal and labor.

Road Runner or not, anyone who thinks the shell the OP is listing is only worth 3 or 4k is an out-of-touch fool.

I have a shell (real RR) that's going out to body and paint tomorrow. As it sits with all the metalwork now fresh and solid I have $30k into it and that's not taking into account the value of the original shell - just new metal and labor.

Road Runner or not, anyone who thinks the shell the OP is listing is only worth 3 or 4k is an out-of-touch fool.
Why disparage someone, whether their perceived value is valid or not ? Maybe just offer your perceived value.

Why disparage someone, whether their perceived value is valid or not ? Maybe just offer your perceived value.

Ya, and a complete 426 hemi is only worth a couple grand 'cause its all in pieces !!

In this day and age ANY "shell" from the musclecar era that's in good condition is worth its weight in gold - regardless of what badging it originally wore. Personally I'd rather drive a mediocre Hemi RR clone than a mint original 383 RR.

Major projects are hard to sell.

My best advise is figure out a value done and driving , then back up from there

Body may be ready , but finding a painter who will paint over some one else's work is going to be tough. But if u do, I would figure somewhere in the 8 to 10k range ,,,if your lucky.

No engine or trans easily will add another 10k Another $2 to 3,000 or more for interior if u have everything and just needs covers , carpet and head liner installed

IMO a NICE running driving 383 road runner clone , might get into the 30-35k range . But thats done and done nice.

So ( again IMO ) a nice - solid rolling shell in this state is worth more then $5k, but doubt it would pull over $10k UNLESS you get real lucky and find a buyer who can paint it himself and already has a running ready to go drivetrain.

Tough deal and awful nice of you to try and help out. Don't mean to be hard on you.

In my experience the big issues are what's missing, how to/cost to transport in pieces and distance, body and paint, the amount of time/effort to put it back together.

I agree with the previous point about a nicely finished clone being in the low $30K range.

Rough numbers:
$2,500 - 3,000 transport out of state
$2,500 - 5,000 purchasing missing/better components
$10,000 engine/trans/drive shaft/exhaust
$500 - $2,000 brakes, fuel tank, shocks, weather stripping, radiator, wheels/tires
$3,000 - $4,000 interior (not to mention the lead time for seat covers right now)
$10,000 body and paint (color can drive this up or down some)
$1,000 misc

You can argue with any cost listed here. These are just my guesses based on being down this road many times in the past. I think you can see the basic issue though. Unless you can perform most all of the work here, paying $10K for the car pretty much assures you're well under water by the time it's done and that assumes the values keep steady through the current economic chaos. It would have to be a labor of love, which is what I suspect it was for the deceased owner.

I'd love to have the car myself. These are the factors that cause me to not pursue it. There's a Mopar guy in the Denver area. Wakeman Massey (sp). Good guy. Might try contacting him. He's got a shop outside of Denver and does Jeep engine conversion stuff too if that helps you locate him.

My two cents worth. Put it on ebay with ABSOLUTELY NO RESERVE and you will move it. You WILL need to do a good job of inventorying the parts though.

This will certainly be the fastest and most efficient way of getting a sale. I would suggest to you that "market value" will indeed be determined by the hundreds of people who will see your advert.

Keep in mind when you buy a used car you're buying what the previous owner liked or could afford. If you have some skills and initiative, buying something like this allows you to build what YOU want. This is probably why the current owner was building a clone.

Have my genuine '69 RR at the body shop now. Car was originally Y2 yellow. Its going to come back orange - and probably not a Mopar factory orange either !!

My two cents worth. Put it on ebay with ABSOLUTELY NO RESERVE and you will move it. You WILL need to do a good job of inventorying the parts though.

This will certainly be the fastest and most efficient way of getting a sale. I would suggest to you that "market value" will indeed be determined by the hundreds of people who will see your advert.

I agree - and put a link to the ad on every Mopar site.

Moparmark is in Colorado. Have him come look at it and maybe sell it for her.

Something in that shape is tuff to transport ?probally better off trying local Facebook or Craigslist local Or make it a roller then it’s easer to sell ,come up with a price ,not being a Roadrunner hurts the price big time it cost the same to build a clone if it’s soild body put a price on probably only worth 3or 4 grand and it’s hard to ship Good Luck
I would like just said, offer it with good pics and list of parts local on FB Marketplace and all the B body sites on FB, or CL if anyone in your area still uses it.
I know projects tend to be overpriced for what they are, BUTif its a sold car with title and some good arts to make it a complete car...........I would start $6000 or so. If its missing sets, grills, dash and everything else maybe too high. Depends on the condition of that body and how complete IMHO Good luck.. Sad to hear of the officer.

The buyer for this type car usually needs to be the guy that CAN and WILL do body/paint work himself, and does not require a $10,000 engine and wants a driver not a # show poodle/investment ? ha car!!
RoadRunnrs, I have had a zillion of then in the last 4 decades and Ya know guys, they made what??? 90,000 69 383 RR!!!!!!

Last edited:

The 3 cars I’ve sold on eBay were no reserve. I wouldn’t recommend it, and I disagree you will get market value. It all depends on who sees the auction at the time listed and how willing they are to travel or ship your car.

1st one an unrestored rust free running/driving HP big block B body ended for about the minimum I thought it was worth, but buyers wife changed his mind. Immediately relisted and sold for 20% less than first auction.

2nd was a popular Body style car (original small block, now 440) and sold for about what $$ I had in it (minus labor). Pretty much a done driver quality car. Buyer was very happy and drove over 10 hours to pick it up the very next morning. I’ve seen similar cars listed for double what that sold for, not sure what they ended up changing hands for though.

3rd was a rusty, but running/driving 1968 Chrysler 300 coupe (440 gone, 318/904 installed) sold for less than $600. (I would have been money ahead just to harvest parts I needed for other projects and scrap the rest. Hell, just the rebuilt 3rd member was worth the sale price)

All these auctions were between 2013 and 2017. All had very thorough pictures and descriptions. I think I could have gotten more through other means, but probably not as easy of a sale as through eBay.

A basket case like OP, the chance of getting below market value is a lot higher IMO.

Last edited:
The car is obviously worth more than 3 to 4 grand but that’s probably where people want to be on a car like this though because the amount of parts missing, plus the time and let’s not forget the car is basically a shell…!

Anyone that has put a car together once knows what a project like this entails and this is the type of project that most people I’m talking probably 90 to 95% do not want to be involved in

It looks like it’s a solid car but just time would drive you crazy

good luck on the sale

Its all about condition and whats there, plus it takes the right guy to buy a striped out shell. Is all the glass and hardware there????? The dash.instrument cluster, pad etc???
I see rusted out 68-9 Bels or RR for sale for $5-6000 Is anyone paying that? I would not!
If that shell is solid and straight I would pay $3500 for it all day long with title. If I wanted such project, but over the last 40 years I have bought and built tons of such. But I would would only buy as a local NO shippng if I was a player. just my opinion.
The hardest project to sell is the completely took apart roller!

My name is Joseph and I live in Eaton Colorado! I’d be interested in buying the car! 970-590-6681

To give you a frame of reference. And this is a true RR bought for 8000 with tons of parts and the car was running and driving. Solid floors and just needed one patch panel.

IMG_0458-400x300.jpg

To give you a frame of reference. And this is a true RR bought for 8000 with tons of parts and the car was running and driving. Solid floors and just needed one patch panel.

View attachment 1284172
What year did you buy it? I agree that is what a guy should be able to buy one for but how many like that can you find for that $$ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back