• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Super Bee 383 Y4 Gold

J-rod007

Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have information as to how many '69 383 Super Bees were factory Y4 Gold?

New member here. Thanks for having me.

20190721_095337.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Mopar didn’t keep records of those numbers and the registries are trying to build their data bases but in reality the answer is No....

Not many I would bet, but like stated above, there are no records. Got any pics? Y4, side scoops, black rump stripe and a black vinyl top sound kind of cool to me.

Bought the car July 4, 1990. It was my first car. Sold the car in 1997/1998. Been trying to buy it back for almost 20 years. Just got it bought back around 3 weeks ago. As it turns out, the guy I sold it to put it into barn on May 8, 1999 with intentions to restore it, but he never got to it. He never put the title in his name, so it was always "sort of" mine the whole time.

Numbers matching motor. It had a Ramcharger fresh air system when I had it in the 90's.

Below are pics of me with it in 1990/1991 as well as pics as the car sits now.

I am in line for a local restoration shop and making decisions on the restoration.

3211513.jpg
20190720_090230.jpg
20190720_090215.jpg
20190722_184453.jpg
20190720_090207.jpg
20190721_102809.jpg
20190721_102806.jpg

Last edited:
Is the frame in decent condition from sitting above dirt for so long? Keeping it red or going back to Y4?

Is the frame in decent condition from sitting above dirt for so long? Keeping it red or going back to Y4?
The car was never wrecked and is straight. Don't know about the frame yet, but the shop doing the restoration is excited to get it stripped down to bare metal and see what it looks like. So am I.

At this point I am thinking I will take it back to original configuration in Y4 Gold. Keeping it mostly stock but will be adding front disc brakes, fuel injection and a vintage air conditioning.

At this point I am thinking I will take it back to original configuration in Y4 .

Exactly what I would do with that one. Kind of an intriguing color combo imo. Definitely not something you see everyday.

Sweet looking car when you had it. I'd be pissed as hell at the dude that let it fall into that shape. Glad you got it back & will bring it back to it's former glory and then some!

Does anyone have information as to how many '69 383 Super Bees were factory Y4 Gold?

New member here. Thanks for having me.

View attachment 818233

just one guys perspective, input and opinion. Other people have info too....

I don't think a breakdown by color exists from the factory like it does for later years.

I track a lot of fender tags especially 69s.

I have info on:

45 Bees built at the LA plant
~224 Bees built at Lynch Road
~232 Bees built at the St. Louis plant

of those I have

0 in Y4 from LA
0 in Y4 from LR
including yours, 5 from the St. Louis plant.

Meaning the percentage of Y4 cars in my sample of about 500 cars is about 1%. It's not a common color.

The only color info I've seen is for reported
surviving sixpack/six bbl a12 cars. Y4 was less than 1/2%. You have a rare color, I'd put it back on, for sure!

I have seen the superbeeregistry.com site, and it does seem to be a rare color, based on their numbers too. However, that is only on car fender tags submitted by owners.

In my mind, the Y4 Gold exterior with black (everything else) will look amazing. I am having troubles getting my Wife to envision it, though, as she has always liked the hi-impact colors. It doesn't help that she only remembers the car the way it was "back then" (Orange/white stripe/black vinyl top/black interior).

I appreciate all the input. You folks sure make the new kid feel welcomed.

Auto Transport Service
Back