• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Super Bee Brake Upgrade

NJMuscle

Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
Currently have a 1969 Super Bee with manual brakes, Wilwood discs up front and stock drums in the back. I'm looking to add a Hydroboost system to the car. My question is about whether the device in the pictures is just a Distribution block or a dist block/Prop valve. I don't see a typical adjustable Prop valve anywhere on the Rear brake line and I don't know who installed the existing setup. Experience tells me not to trust what anyone else has done on this car, but I need to know whether or not I should remove and replace this device or just add a new Prop valve in the Rear Brake line leaving my new Master and leave the block intact or replace it with something else. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Prop Valve 1.jpg Prop Valve 3.jpg

Hard to say what that valve is. The way it looks and the adapters tells me it is not factory. My 69 charger is disc on all 4 corners. I run the factory proportioning valve and the Mopar aluminum master cylinder. No booster and the brakes work real well.

I’m pretty sure that is a GM style prop valve. My 55 Bel Air has this same valve and it too has front disc/rear drum brake set up.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that is a GM style prop valve. My 55 Bel Air has this same valve and it too has front disc/rear drum brake set up.
Interesting, but not surprised. I'm a little hesitant to start touching things, but I'm not happy with the brakes. It's like working on old plumbing in your house. Once you touch it, you end up replacing everything. Do you think it is a Proportioning valve and dist block in one? Maybe I should replace this thing with an OEM dist block and put a Prop Valve on the rear.

I think it is a prop and distr valve. I have the box a new one came in and it is labeled as a combination valve.

If you have to make new lines, this Wilwood valve is my favorite. All lines run from it and no other connections. Start with passenger side line as it is the hardest.

2014-08-07-1 Coronet master and lines.JPG

i don't think it's factory either. mine looks different. it supposed to be a dist block, but has a safety feature built in to lock out. i.e.: the rear if a leak down is detected activating your brake lamp to let you know there is a problem. i can take a pic of my spare when i get home if it helps.

Thanks for the replies. I've been researching and it is a Chevy type Prop valve, or Combination Valve, as it should be called. It is a Dist Block, Metering Valve, Prop valve all in one. It looks to me if I replace this with the OEM setup, I believe there are two separate pieces with a bracket holding them meant to mount on the fender. Then, I've seen other setups where there is a block under the car towards the rear brakes. I did notice that my original line to the back was extended to reach the 5 way combo valve on the frame. The more I look at things, the more I may leave well enough alone for now. I've got the Spring time jitters, just want to drive it. I may just buy parts and pieces and wait until I have enough will to dive in and do it. Looking at it now just annoys me for some reason.

They include those valves on many of the universal kits. I used one on my previous car with no problems. I plan on using the same valve on my current disc brake conversion, since I have an extra. My car had a single reservoir master, so I need to redo all the plumbing anyway.

IMG_1954.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back