• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Superbee 15X10 rear 5.5 back spacing

Kind B

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a little confused, can I run a 15X10 on the rear, it seems from what I have read it will fit, the problem is I want a crager or American Racing torque thrust VN605D and the back spacing for those is only 3.75 or 4.25, either way that is not enough, btw I want to go with a 295/50/15 on the rear, American racing says they wont make a custom in this model, does anyone know if crager will make one ?? Any help is totally appreciated, my car is almost complete but has no shoes now..

Boy, thats a big tire. I have 15X12.5 on my 69 RR. They barely clear the leaf springs, and that's with an aluminum spacer between the wheel and brake drum.

Crager made me a custom set of 15x10 Keystone Klassics for my Charger. They will make anything in 1/8" increments. I went through Summit and if I remember, it was $20 - $25 more than standard sizes.

Well since you have a '69 Bee, I'll see if I can help you out with your question.

I have a set of each of the AR Torq Thrusts and Magnum 500 Road Wheels on my two Coronets. Both sets are 15"x 10" wide rims with 5" backspacing, NOT 5 1/2". I'm using the 295/50/15 tires, BF Goodrich T/A's. I've been driving both cars with these wheels/tires for several years now and NO problems at all. As for CRAGARS, I do not know if they have a 15x10" wheel available. A word of warning on the Torq Thrusts, with the center caps installed you CANNOT get a socket or lug wrench on the lugs should you have a flat while on the road. You have to take the center caps off in order to remove or install a wheel, which requires removing 5 small allen head screws in each cap. A real PITA, and American Racing customer support is REALLY LOUSY. They deny that the problem exists, even after I provided detailed photos of the interference of the caps, although they did say they were aware of the same problem on A bodies. Basically, they already had my money and just told me to "get lost". I'll never purchase another product from them ever again. To solve this issue, I modified the center caps to match the contours of the wheel so that I could get a socket on the wheel lugs without removing the cap. But, I shouldn't have had to do this if they would only engineer their products correctly in the first place. It is time consuming to hand modify the caps, but I now can change a tire without having to remove the center cap first.

Link to Magnum 500's
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-54501205/overview/

Here is a couple photos of the wheel/tires on my cars.

P9130002.jpg
PB100053.jpgPB100056.jpg

Well since you have a '69 Bee, I'll see if I can help you out with your question.

I have a set of each of the AR Torq Thrusts and Magnum 500 Road Wheels on my two Coronets. Both sets are 15"x 10" wide rims with 5" backspacing, NOT 5 1/2". I'm using the 295/50/15 tires, BF Goodrich T/A's. I've been driving both cars with these wheels/tires for several years now and NO problems at all. As for CRAGARS, I do not know if they have a 15x10" wheel available. A word of warning on the Torq Thrusts, with the center caps installed you CANNOT get a socket or lug wrench on the lugs should you have a flat while on the road. You have to take the center caps off in order to remove or install a wheel, which requires removing 5 small allen head screws in each cap. A real PITA, and American Racing customer support is REALLY LOUSY. They deny that the problem exists, even after I provided detailed photos of the interference of the caps, although they did say they were aware of the same problem on A bodies. Basically, they already had my money and just told me to "get lost". I'll never purchase another product from them ever again. To solve this issue, I modified the center caps to match the contours of the wheel so that I could get a socket on the wheel lugs without removing the cap. But, I shouldn't have had to do this if they would only engineer their products correctly in the first place. It is time consuming to hand modify the caps, but I now can change a tire without having to remove the center cap first.

Link to Magnum 500's

View attachment 313159
View attachment 313160View attachment 313161

How were you able to get the AR Torque thrusts with a 5 inch back spacing, I don't see that offered anywhere

Yea, sorry I wasn't paying attention to which Torque thrusts you have, I want the VN605D's, they don't have those with my backspacing..

My bad, didn't catch that you specified 605's in your original post.

Last edited:
With 5" bs, how much room do you have to the fender? Weld Wheels only offers 5.5 and 4.5 bs. 5.5 will rub the springs but I'm not sure 4.5 will fit.

With 5" bs, how much room do you have to the fender? Weld Wheels only offers 5.5 and 4.5 bs. 5.5 will rub the springs but I'm not sure 4.5 will fit.

Who said 5.5 will rub the springs? I didn't read that anywhere, I have read just the opposite

- - - Updated - - -

Link to Magnum 500's

View attachment 313159

Are you trying to tell me that a 5.5 inch bs will rub the springs??

Who said 5.5 will rub the springs? I didn't read that anywhere, I have read just the opposite

I read on dodgecharger.com they rub with 30x12 or 29x12 tires.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you trying to tell me that a 5.5 inch bs will rub the springs??

I can verify that 15x10 with 5.5 bs and 30x12 MT rub the right rear spring and inner fender on my '68 Charger when turning left. I added a 1/4' spacer and its all good now.

Link to Magnum 500's

View attachment 313159

I have been reading this thread and am very happy i found it. this is exactly the setup i was looking for. although i originally wanted to go with the torque thrust rims seeing your pictures of the magnum 500's i have changed my mind. love that look. my only question is, and forgive me if I missed it somewhere. what size rim and tire do you have in the front. I was looking to go with the same rear tire and rim but change the front to a BF Goodrich t/a 235 60 15 tire 15" x 8" rim w/4.5" bs is this what you used also? if not what did you use. i really like the stance your car has, so i would consider changing that. why recreate the wheel( pun intended). I know this conversation is pretty old but hopefully you could help me out. thanks so much.

Looking to put some Cragar 08/61 series wheels on my 69 Charger. I want to use 15x10 inch wheels and BF Goodrich 295-50-R15 tires. Problem is I need 5 inch back spacing. Online Jegs and Summit offer 15x10 Cragars with 4.25 back spacing. Anybody know if Cragar will make 15x10 wheels with custom 5 inch back spacing ? Anybody out there have this setup on their Charger. Thanks

I'm not sure where i read this but: someone asked(i think on this forum) if cragar had discontinued the classic Cragar ss wheel. The response was that the wheel had not been discontinued, just that they weren't doing custom backspaces anymore. I have NO idea if that is true. If they are now a chinese import, i can believe no customs would be available anymore
I would see if i could reach cragar on the interweb.

Thanks for the reply. I would guess your right on the Chinese import part. I will try to call Cragar
Tomorrow and see what they have to say. I really liked those wheels. Sure hope I can find what I need to finish the look of my Charger. Good part is the Charger looks great with Magnum 500s to.
And I already have some of those.

Auto Transport Service
Back