• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 440 engine harness question

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
went to change harness and its not the same. Bought the Bee and who had it was a Macgyver :BangHead: so can you tell me what the plug is for black /yellow tracer gos to pig tail and gray/black tracer is coil. setup is for electronic ignition , Installed new dash harness,old engine harness was converted but no plug next to bulkhead.they cut the old harness so it would work with 2 prong ballast now I have the 4 prong ballast. thanks please bare with me very frustrated.

P1020671.JPG P1020672.JPG

I do have a wiring diagram and it does not show plug next to bulkhead.Or Am I blind
P1020673.JPG

would that plug go to tac-gray/black? what would black/yellow go to?

yes its a 4spd.I know it gos to -coil what I dont know is were that plug gos to.

so I think your saying the plug does not get used. Note: The ECUs used from 1972 through 1979 had five pins or connections. The new performance ECU has only four pins.

4 pins, 5 pins ECUS plugs the same. Just the ballast in use makes difference. Dual ballast matches with 5 pins ECUs, single ballast matches with 4 pins on same plug. You can use 4 pins ECU with dual ballast thought ( earliers stock equipment ), the only diff is a wire going nowhere on ECU ( green traced red ) coming out from secondary resistor on ballast.

If using single ballast and 4 pins module, that green traced red wire will go nowhere on both ends.

About the extra plug on bulkhead side I think recently talked about that one because somebody got same doubt about! Can't recall the conclusion, but was talked maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago! I think tach signal, running from ECU up there then spliced to - lead of coil

Black traced yellow is - lead of coil

Last edited:
yep called M&T its for the Tac

Auto Transport Service
Back