• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 440 GTX 4737S Carter AVS Carb

Tony 70GTX

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Rather than rebuilding the original 4737S Carter AVS carb I’m possibly looking to replace it with something comparable. Holley, Elderbrock, etc.

Is this a mistake or should I stay with the original?

I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks

what have you done to the engine:
heads
cam
compression
Headers

live heard great things from a modern AVS 800 with annular boosters.
is the 4737 carb for sale.

One of the best carbs ever made. Rebuild it! They are only original once... Woodruff carbs is a member here. They do good work.

I had my 4429 totally restored and only use it for a larger judged show like Carlisle, and use an AVS2 for cruising and smaller shows to preserve the Carter. Best of both worlds.

I had my 4429 totally restored and only use it for a larger judged show like Carlisle, and use an AVS2 for cruising and smaller shows to preserve the Carter. Best of both worlds.
Tell us, what size is your AVS2? how does it compare to the stock carb for driving and power?

Tell us, what size is your AVS2? how does it compare to the stock carb for driving and power?
I have the 1905 650cfm manual choke version. Made the necessary changes to work with the original 45 choke. Cold idle improved as well as off-idle response. Used heavier metering rod springs but other than that it was good right out of the box. Easy to tune for idle quality. Power seems comparable to the Carter, but the "1320 days" are over for this one so I can only guess.

Yea with a smaller cfm the off idle would be better.

I’m wondering how an AVS2 800 compares to a 440HP AVS

this is a 1407 edelbrock i swapped some oem parts around with to make it look and operate like factory. a little work. factory avs's are easy to rebuild.

100_0429.jpg

100_0430.jpg

800avs has larger throttle bores, larger primary venturi, slightly smaller secondary venturi.

how it compares in drivability and performance at WOT.
the only 800avs that i've played with, and played with a lot, is on a friends 427 corvette 5spd. the carb drives very good which surprised me considering how large the front half is. i did do some serious down jetting from OOTB. power is surprisingly good. the 800avs would be better suited for something like a ch4b or rpm intake. i wouldn't put one on a stock iron intake. the 1407 or 1411 would match up better on a stock intake.

Rather than rebuilding the original 4737S Carter AVS carb I’m possibly looking to replace it with something comparable. Holley, Elderbrock, etc.

I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks

I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks
Thanks everyone, I’ve decided to rebuild the AVS

Sometimes you may need to get a tune kit for them, those old avs’ should have 3 step metering rods. If it runs a little one way or the other, the strip kits have two step I believe so just use the correct jets.

how it compares in drivability and performance at WOT.

I have an AVS II 800 on my 499" RB and I had a square bore Carter AVS on it before. I honestly can't tell much difference between the two on this engine since it sucks everything they

both can give equally . What I will say is if you already have a Carter AVS I wouldn't spend the money to buy the Edelbrock AVS II thinking you're going to gain some magic outcome.

If you don't already have carburetor and need one then buy a new one since it won't require rebuilding and it looks shinny. LOL

Tom

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back