• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Am-Fm restoration

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
My Am-Fm radio quit on me in my 70 RR. I'm torn about how to have it restored. First do I get it restored back to oem or do i get the guts replaced with modern internals & higher watts. And if I go with the modern internal & upgrades, does the external look remain the same ?? Second who do we get to work on our radios??

Not sure which model you have, but if your looking for a new one.....

www.retromanufacturing.com

1671057368179.png

View attachment 1387472

1671057391534.png

I can tell you who I have used with stellar results, The look of the unit will be stock. The guts will be upgraded, and it works so much better than the radios sold by audio sound etc. They have a basic am/fm conversion, and you can get as fancy as you want with options,
retroradio.biz
located in Pennsylvania.

I second Retro Radio in PA. Very helpful. Also Joe's Classic Car Radio- Home; He's in SC, same, spot on, super helpful.

Most of them are at about a 6 month lead time;

Joe's has one of my radios right now looking at getting it back in March, so whomever you choose, get your radio to them and get it in line so you get it back by car show season or whatever;

I was going to use one from Retro Manufacturing; however they do not fit "properly" in a 66 coronet; which has a slanted radio bezel; so I sold that one off and went back to an original. It was a nice unit with cool features I'm sure it would have worked fine, but the fit just wasnt right. If you have a flat dash bezel or a radio with the thumb wheels people tell me the Retro radios are the best aside from getting your original rebuilt.

I can also assist with your radio.....stock spec repair/resto or modern upgrade. Feel free to contact me via PM. Joe

Auto Transport Service
Back