• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 B body automatic shifter knob

finoke

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
My 70 Charger has a small problem. The black push button on my Console Auto shifter ball pops out occasionally. There is no spring under it. I believe it should screw into the shifter cable but there is not enough cable sticking up to screw in the ball and push button before tightening the set screw for the ball.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Tom

shifter.jpg

Loosen the set screw, thread the button and knob onto the cable all the way down on the shifter. There should be a spring between the button and knob.

Hi Jim, thanks for responding. Yes that's what I thought but the threaded cable on the shifter side is recessed and I can't get to the threaded portion before the shifter knob bottoms out on the collar.

When screwing both in with the button totally depressed it doesn't seem to reach the threaded portion. Something isn't quite right.

When I got the car the black button had a small screw in it to make contact with the shifter. Instead of being threaded into it. So the previous owner had the same problem at some point.

I will try to take a close up picture soon.

Tom

Maybe tomorrow I will try to just screw in the black button without the shifter knob and see if that even works?

I tried screwing the black push button on without the shifter knob and it doesn’t reach down far enough to screw on.

I think the shifter threaded section is short. Maybe the tip snapped off?

Or perhaps the threads in the black button are stripped.... Seems more likely...

Auto Transport Service
Back