• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 charger 383 vacuum advance retard feature

Harry Williams

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
I am wanting to use a stock type distributor in my 70 charger. I was wondering if the vacuum advance would work properly if the retard feature wasnt hooked up before i spend 200 for new one? All help appreciated. Thanks Harry

I am wanting to use a stock type distributor in my 70 charger. I was wondering if the vacuum advance would work properly if the retard feature wasnt hooked up before i spend 200 for new one? All help appreciated. Thanks Harry
It will work just fine.

Yes two separate systems. Common the solenoid locks up as long as it holds vacuum you are golden. If needed I have most of them NOS tested!

It is on my 70 440. I'm not using it for anything other than appearance and the engine runs great. You will have to tune your engine per older specs, or as I did, to what performs best.

Auto Transport Service
Back